my crab decided to molt in his dome

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

my crab decided to molt in his dome

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 am

so, this is my first time here. I’ve had mr krabs for most of my life (8+ years) I have never had any problems with mr krabs until now. I left home for about 2 weeks and my mom said krabs was digging around like crazy and flipped over allll the stuff in his tank (nothing new, he loves to dig) yesterday I went to do the daily tank check I saw lifeless little legs in the opening of his skeleton head home (which is domed shaped). I obviously couldn’t comprehend this news so I just decided to deal with this the next day (today).
My mom went to check things out since I couldn’t bear to do it, and to our surprise, mr krabs is white, naked, and moving his legs, eating what I thought was him dead. So, the question is; why did my crab decide to molt inside a dome, and not in his coconut ground shavings like he normally would?
What should I do? Does he not like the tank anymore? Is he gonna be ok?
Last edited by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 PP, crabbin’ since 2008!

ciaraalston

Re: my crab decided to molt in his dome

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:21 am

What kind of substrate do you have? I'm not familiar with coconut ground shavings.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:13 am

ciaraalston wrote:What kind of substrate do you have? I'm not familiar with coconut ground shavings.
Maybe they meant ground coconut shavings, which is EcoEarth or coconut fiber

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:14 am

rufeelinitnowmrkrabs wrote:so, this is my first time here. I’ve had mr krabs for most of my life (8+ years) I have never had any problems with mr krabs until now. I left home for about 2 weeks and my mom said krabs was drigging around like crazy and flipped over allll the stuff in his tank (nothing new, he loves to dig) yesterday I went to do the daily tank check I saw lifeless little legs in the opening of his skeleton head home (which is domed shaped). I obviously couldn’t comprehend this news so I just decided to deal with this the next day (today).
My mom went to check things out since I couldn’t bear to do it, and to our surprise, mr krabs is white, naked, and moving his legs, eating what I thought was him dead. So, the question is; why did my crab decide to molt inside a dome, and not in his coconut ground shavings like he normally would?
What should I do? Does he not like the tank anymore? Is he gonna be ok?
How deep is the substrate and what size is Mr. Krabs?

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:19 am

hermiwormi wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:What kind of substrate do you have? I'm not familiar with coconut ground shavings.

Oh, duh! Sorry, I'm dumb sometimes Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:23 am

ciaraalston wrote:
hermiwormi wrote:

Oh, duh! Sorry, I'm dumb sometimes Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
LOL. It's okay. We all have our moments Image

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:14 pm

i shouldve clarified better haha, yeah its cocohusk by "Exo Terra" ive used it ever since my first crab and had no problems with molting, mr krabs is in a 25 gallon (alone) with about 4 and a half inches of ground. im going to buy another block today (which is 7qt) and get that into the tank after he feels better, i dont wanna stress him out too much, especially since he molted in a weird spot. and his size: hes not big, but definitely not small, the opening of his shell is about a inch tall.
but heres an update; as im writing this i took a peak on him after i turned on the heat lamp and he regained most of his colour and is just hanging out, still very shy though, because he hid in his shell when i approached the tank

question: what do you guys use for ground?
thanks! :)
1 PP, crabbin’ since 2008!

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Most people here mix in play sand, with a 5:1 ratio to make it mostly sand. Crabbers prefer this mixture over all Eco Earth because sand holds molting caves and tunnels better when crabs dig down.