Is my crab dead?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Is my crab dead?

Post by BlueCrabAve » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:35 pm

My kids got 3 small hermit crabs in May and we had them for about 2 months in the plastic critter keeper (ugh). Once I figured out the proper conditions that were needed I transferred them to a large tank with 6+ inches of substrate, two water dishes, temp/humidity gauges, heat sources, hiding places, climbing toys, lots of shells etc. etc etc. Prior to this I moved them into a 3.5 gallon tank (mid August) and our larger of the 3 went under the shallow sand (just enought to cover her shell). She had not created any cave/tunnel in the sand at all. She stayed under the sand (no sign of moving at night) for months. In October I transferred the crabs to the 10 gallon. I gently moved the underground crab with a spoon and put her in a hole in the sand and put some water with her under a coco hut with the entrance turned towards the glass to prevent the other crabs from bothering her. There is a hole at the top of the coco. I checked on her this weekend by lifting the coconut and there is no smell, I check for a smell often. Her claws appear to be tightly curled up (not limp) but I can see absolutely no movement. I took a picture. I didn’t want to disturb her any more by brushing away the sand. I am unable to add a photo- how do I do this? I appreciate any help in advance!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Is my crab dead?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 am

You can add pictures with the app Tapatalk. I hope everything turns out ok.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:49 am

BlueCrabAve wrote:Image

Has she moved since?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
BlueCrabAve wrote:Image

Has she moved since?

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Is my crab dead?

Post by BlueCrabAve » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:43 pm

No- nothing. I just took the cocohut off again to check the water and same position. I tapped the claws and no resistance or movement at all....seems like a long long time for a molt for this size crab? Image

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:59 pm

From everything you're saying, I think she's gone. They don't always smell, and with the position she's in you wouldn't notice any changes if she had passed. I would gently lift her up and see if she slides out. Just be prepared because there may be decay behind that hard exo, it would be best to do it over a garbage bag.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Well I appreciate the advice- I just turned her over and gently rocked the shell and a claw fell out and then I did it again and a majority of the body did too:( It looks like there were fly or some other kind of eggs attached inside the shell and could have prevented a smell if they ate her up right after she died... thanks for everyone’s help!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Thank you- I just told my daughter and she is a little shaken but at this point the crab was under the sand longer than we even had her above the sand so she became less attached. The shell shop where we bought them at the beach had crabs piled all over one another and zero substrate:(

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:26 pm

BlueCrabAve wrote:Thank you- I just told my daughter and she is a little shaken but at this point the crab was under the sand longer than we even had her above the sand so she became less attached. The shell shop where we bought them at the beach had crabs piled all over one another and zero substrate:(

I know. The conditions they go through before we get them is horrific. Sometimes even after months in good conditions they can die from PPS. Post Purchase Syndrome.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:11 pm

I’m sorry for your loss.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:12 pm

So sorry... it's unfortunate that these things happen. Although this one didn't make it at least the rest of them went to someone who knows the proper care.
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:06 pm

My daughter was more upset than I thought so in my way home from work I stopped into PetSmart and bought a new PP. It was pretty sad there and I wanted to get all four of them but my tank isn’t big enough. He wouldn’t come out of his shell all night but when he finally did he just sat on the food plate and ate for about 2 hours straight:(