Constantly buried

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Huckleberry

Constantly buried

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:29 pm

I hear one of my crabs digging around, but I never see him? He molted super recently so I'm worried. He seems to never come up for food or water? WHat's he doing down there?? Its been like 5 days with no sign of him, but I can hear him and he was very healthy last time I checked. Help?
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Constantly buried

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Huckleberry wrote:I hear one of my crabs digging around, but I never see him? He molted super recently so I'm worried. He seems to never come up for food or water? WHat's he doing down there?? Its been like 5 days with no sign of him, but I can hear him and he was very healthy last time I checked. Help?
He may be coming up at night to eat and drink. They eat such small amounts you wouldn't notice. You can smooth out the substrate carefully so you don't collapse any tunnels. If he comes out at night, you'll see his little foot prints.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Thank you! I'll try that.
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Huckleberry wrote:Thank you! I'll try that.
You're welcome.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi