Molting again

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Molting again

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:28 am

So hermie molted like almost 3 months about a month or 2 ago ... or 3
He is under again ... he been under 2-3 days I need cheeki on him see if he is still under but could he molting again so soon I know I seen others ask this to !

Will he molt as long again ???

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 8859
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Molting again

Post by wodesorel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:24 am

He very well could be molting again. There are a lot of factors in how often and for how long, but it's usually based on their size (smaller crabs molt more often and for not as long) and if they are trying to repair injuries. For me, medium crabs will molt 3 to 5 times a year. It's the most boring part of crab keeping!

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Molting again

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:06 pm

wodesorel wrote:He very well could be molting again. There are a lot of factors in how often and for how long, but it's usually based on their size (smaller crabs molt more often and for not as long) and if they are trying to repair injuries. For me, medium crabs will molt 3 to 5 times a year. It's the most boring part of crab keeping!
Ya ok ! Well we shall see, thanks ya it is the most boring part lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


crabby33
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: Molting again

Post by crabby33 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I have a medium crab that has been down since November 19. I don’t expect her to be back up any time soon. The last time she molted was back in May. Her molts had been lasting three to four weeks, they are now stretching to 6 weeks.

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Molting again

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:03 pm

crabby33 wrote:I have a medium crab that has been down since November 19. I don’t expect her to be back up any time soon. The last time she molted was back in May. Her molts had been lasting three to four weeks, they are now stretching to 6 weeks.
Ya mine was down like almost 3 months maybe alil less ...

But that was not to long ago so .. was surprised so soon ...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

BlookittiePC
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:36 pm

Re: Molting again

Post by BlookittiePC » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:19 pm

I have two small-medium crabs and Jarvis went down for a molt, came back up, wandered around for a month, and went down again exactly two months from the first time he went down. I'd say it's normal.
Two PPs: Jarvis and Friday(currently my picture) Who have been with me now for eight months!
And two cats: Beanie and Delia

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Molting again

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:06 pm

BlookittiePC wrote:I have two small-medium crabs and Jarvis went down for a molt, came back up, wandered around for a month, and went down again exactly two months from the first time he went down. I'd say it's normal.
Oooo thanks ok yeaaa

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Reply