Almost finished molting?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Almost finished molting?

Post by nonamelikethis » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:36 am

So my hermit crab Puddles, I have discovered that she is moving under the sand and I can see it moving. Does that mean shes almost finished molting? Shes managed to dig all the way down to the point shes hitting the glass so I can see her under there. I also hear weird scratching noises occasionally.. Heres a picture of her.Image

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
I love my pets. (Hank, my dog. Cookie, my cat, Fishy, my only fish left :(, and now 2 purple pincher hermit crabs, Bubbles and Puddles)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Almost finished molting?

Post by curlysister » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Hard to say. I have heard mine moving around on and off when they are buried. How long has she been down, and how big is she?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Post by nonamelikethis » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Shes been down for maybe a few weeks now, and I think shes between a smallish mediumish crab... I caught her moving a lot earlier and i havent seen an exoskeleton yet, but she might have already eaten it. I havent been watching her because she was molting and I didnt want to disturb her. I just hope she finishes soon I haven't seen her out in a while.

I love my pets. (Hank, my dog. Cookie, my cat, Fishy, my only fish left :(, and now 2 purple pincher hermit crabs, Bubbles and Puddles)

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Post by nonamelikethis » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:59 pm

I just checked on her, and what I can see is that her colors look really vibrant and her purple claw is a very beautiful color right now

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:08 pm

Be patient, LOL. Most of us cover up the outside with a piece of paper if a crab leaves a 'window' to their molt cave. She might stay under there for a while yet. Don't dig her up, she will know when to come out.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Post by nonamelikethis » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Thank you for letting me know, about a week ago the tank started to smell a little bit so I took a small paintbrush to make sure she was okay and she moved a little, I stuck a little food out and it looks like it has been eaten off of a little bit so she might be finished and is recovering? I guess. I don't know but im super excited.