Molting article

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crabby33

Molting article

Post by crabby33 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:24 am

Although the molting article says medium crabs can take 3-6 weeks, there really is no set timeline for molting. One of my crabs Buckbeak, built his cave right up next to the glass and he’s been there for 31 days and he has not shed his Exo yet. We’re on week 5. I have a couple of books covering the window for darkness to help trigger the molting hormone. I’m finding it’s more interesting to monitor the process than to dig and I don’t have to if I know exactly where the crab is.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting article

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Whenever I have a crab do that I just cut a piece of cardboard out and tape it over the spot.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 pm

Oh, and I’m looking into buying some Coco Fiber and play sand or even beach sand if I can find it online. Hardware stores do not stock play sand that much in the winter time in Texas.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 pm

crabby33 wrote:Oh, and I’m looking into buying some Coco Fiber and play sand or even beach sand if I can find it online. Hardware stores do not stock play sand that much in the winter time in Texas.
If you go to Lowe’s or Home Depot, go to the section where the bags of concrete and paving stones are.

If they don’t have Playsand you can use Quikrete All Purpose sand.

I’ve purchased sand in the winter in Dallas and Garland areas at Lowe’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 am

Okay, thank you! I have also found it can be bought online too. I don’t drive and the closest Home Depot near me is not within walking distance.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 pm

Shipping would probably be expensive for shipping bags of playsand considering a bag weighs 50 lbs. The Hermit crab patch sells 25 lbs of pre mixes substrate for around $15 plus another $12 or so shipping. I'm sure shipping would be comparable $20+ for a $5-$6 bag.

I know most home improvement places, at least in my area, offer free delivery if you spend a certain amount. They would probably still deliver the sand to you for a delivery fee. It may be a lot more cost effective than paying shipping costs on several bags.

If you know someone with a truck, possibly a car too, maybe offer them some gas money to run you.

Just a few more ideas you can possibly try to help you out.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I may just wait until I can order a couple of bags of the Hermit Crab Patch’s pre-mixed sub or see if I can have play sand delivered but thank you for trying to help. I can’t ask anyone because the people where I live will think I’m crazy asking to take me to buy play sand for hermit crabs and will re direct me to a pet store to buy sand, which we all know is no no.