Should I be worried

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Jamison

Should I be worried

Post by Jamison » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Ok, I have a possible problem. I will start at the begginning. So in late September, I got one golf ball sized and one quarter sized purple pinchers. They both mooted when I got them. They both took about a month. So then, my quarter sized one escaped for about two weeks. We found and he was alive and appeared to be perfectly healthy. He was up about two or three weeks and then went down again. At first I was sure he escaped again, but then a few days later I saw him make a little window against the glass. It has been about a month and a half since he went down. Should I be concerned. The bigger one has been down about a month. I am not really worried about him because he isn't able to escape like the smaller one. Oh and just to clarify i did escape proof the tank.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

LandFishh

Re: Should I be worried

Post by LandFishh » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:03 pm

I find it weird how they go underground/surface week by week and not day by day. Do you have a camera? Perhaps he comes up when you're asleep and is destressing for a long time. What's your substrate and heating like? Does he seem energetic?
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:27 pm

I have six inch substrate(eco earth and play sand) and the tank is at 80 degrees right now. When they ate up, they wre very energetic.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:28 pm

And no I don't have cameras
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Most likely they may be moulting or just chilling. It could also be that they are coming back up when you're asleep and then going back down again. Regardless, I wouldn't worry. It's pretty normal for crabs to dig down, and be there for any length of time.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 pm

I agree with Aussie, don't worry!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Lately Ive noticed that both crabs havent come up very much, and since they don’t eat much its tough to tell if they’re coming up at all. My tank is right by my bed so I can usually hear them. I haven’t heard a single thing at night lately, so I figured they’re both molting. Last night I stayed up just 5 minutes later and then I started hearing their shells hitting the glass! A few minutes later I decided to check out what was going on, and I saw them eating the almonds I had put in! Lol...
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 pm

They can be tricky like that.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom