Eaten alive

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Jamison

Eaten alive

Post by Jamison » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Today was a very sad day. About a week ago harry came up from molding. Lloyd was also molding at the time. I assumed that Lloyd was okay. And I will admit I only had four inch substrate because when I set up the tank I didn't know. This morning I noticed water sitting on the bottom. So as a precaution, I decided to dig Lloyd up. I scratched a little sand off the top of where he was molting, and this really bad smell came up. My dad dug a little more down and there was his shell with two legs in the inside. Harry had been eating him. I am so upset. I am crying as I write this. I thought about burying him, but I decided that the better thing to do was to throw his two remaining legs in th empty lot for the birds. I kept his shell as a memory. I am not going to put it in the tank though. It is Lloyds and it is his forever. I know that I need to get harry some friends, but I am scared he will kill them to. I am a bad person.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

scuttlecrusty22

Re: Eaten alive

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm

No your not a terrible person...things like this happen sometimes. Get a new pet crab and start over...see what you can do to make it better next molt! Sorry for you loss :cry:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Thank you for the encouraging words. I think I am going to get one or two more tomorrow. How can I keep humidity without flooding the substrate? Also do I need to isolate them?
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

nonamelikethis

Post by nonamelikethis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:46 pm

Im so sorry for your loss buddy! I know what it feels like.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

I love my pets. (Hank, my dog. Cookie, my cat, Fishy, my only fish left :(, and now 2 purple pincher hermit crabs, Bubbles and Puddles)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 am

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Crabs do not need to be isolated to molt. I can't remember how long you have had your crabs, but it may not have been anything you or Harry did. Crabs are not generally in good conditions before we get them (unless adopted from a crabber who has a good set up), and it takes a toll. They sometimes simply don't have enough energy left to complete a molt, or they are suffering from Post Purchase Syndrome. Lloyd may have simply passed away during his molt, not necessarily killed by Harry.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:08 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I know getting new crabby friends doesn’t replace Lloyd but Harry will need a buddy to keep him happy. I think what curlysister said is probably what happened, you are not a bad person. Add some more substrate to make it at least 6” and when you feel up to it get Harry a friend so he isn’t lonely.

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:09 am

I think I am going to get him two buddies today. I will love them with all my heart but it will never be the same.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:26 pm

:molted:: Isolating them for a week would be a good idea just to make sure they are healthy! I always just mist my tank to keep the humitity it and it never floods
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 pm

So sorry for your loss. We lost one of our original two- and that truly was our fault. (Unequivocally, long story.)
It doesn’t sound like you did anything truly wrong, and even if he did actually eat him.... it’s gross and unthinkable to us but it’s so normal to them. And, there’s no way to know, it is possible that is what kept one alive; like, maybe if he hadn’t then they both could’ve? That’s not a positive thought per se. but... we can’t know for sure one way or another either way in any way!

I’m sure you will love the new ones, and treasure your memories of him. I’m sorry you had this experience though, it can certainly be depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Thank you everyone. Tomorrow I am going to get two new crabs. One is technically going to be my brothers but I will be keeping them in the same tank and doing most the work.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!