Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Oliviet#1

Re: Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:14 am

Neat pictures!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:53 am

Amazing, wodesorel! I think you truly are the hermit crab whisperer. Thank you so much for being here to help us all.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:40 am

wodesorel wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:31 pm
I watered four times a day, first in salt and then in fresh. I had to leave her alone for 10-15 minutes in each or she would not come out to drink. (So if I was getting ready in the morning I could pop her in one dish when I got up, in the other when I got out of the shower, and then back in the tank after I was ready.)

Food I left in front of her on q-tips, either mushed liquids or powders stuck to honey or peanut butter. She licked the swabs clean! She was even able to eat pieces of her old exo with no working limbs so those mouthparts can crunch up solids - it's just less work if we do liquids and powders.

If he topples too much, use moist sand as a substrate. You can mold it around his shell to keep him propped at the right angle to eat.
Thanks so much for all the advice! I really appreciate everything, I'm sure Eddie does too but doesn't know it yet. Eddie is still acting like a typical E. He pops out of his shell ready to go as soon as he is picked up or placed in water. In the water he comes way out of his shell, just to the point of his abdomen being fully inside the shell. He still has no fear and appears to be very active and taking food and water for me at his feeding.

With E's growing slower that purples I hope his next molt won't take much longer than 2 weeks.

I am trying to feed him mainly various proteins and calcium's along with honey and peanut butter powder. With a basic plant mix I mentioned earlier. Should I be offering him any other foods that may give him more of a boost?

Also currently his ISO tank is reading 77 degrees. I believe that is a bit cold for an E. Would 82-84 be ideal or a bit warmer than that?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:42 am

I try to keep one side of my tank 80 or higher, but it depends on the breed
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Daniellebusone22

Post by Daniellebusone22 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:18 pm

What happened to these poor little fellas?!?!

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Daniellebusone22 wrote:What happened to these poor little fellas?!?!
You should read the earlier comments so you can understand the pics. Image

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Daniellebusone22 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:18 pm
What happened to these poor little fellas?!?!
Mine was also attacked while molting, leaving her with half a leg and a claw that was fused in place like a crutch.

Motör, the food mix sounds good. Bee pollen is also extremely beneficial if you have any, it has about 40 trace minerals and vitamins! I would try to bump the temp up to 80-82 if you can, he would likely do better, and with a faster metabolism would be able to process nutrients quicker.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:08 pm

I gave him bee pollen tonight actually. I added more insulation to his ISO in hopes to raise the temperature too. I gave him his baths first then began feeding. I also put the water tubs in his ISO covered. That should keep them closer to his ISO temperature.

He was picky in with foods tonight in true E fashion. he ate some bee pollen, crab exo, beef and chicken heart, brine shrimp eggs and beef liver. He refused ground up apple, I think it was some of your mix actually, peanut butter powder, greensand, and dried earthworms, plankton, calci worms, bloodworms, water flies, ground up fish bone, a calcium mix and more of that plant mix. Just as I would try the last thing before giving up for the night he would decide to eat something else. He ate better for me last night, I'll have to mix his foods up tomorrow.

The one thing I noticed was when he would eat something it appeared he would regurgitate some water onto the the dry powder mixes. Then would bat his mandibles making the food wet then eat it.

He doesn't seem very spooky while i'm holding him to feed him. If I turn my head or move quick he will duck then pop back out in a sew seconds.

I also mixed up some foods on q-tips again. It's hard to tell if he ate any or his moving around knocked it off into the ground.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:12 am

I managed to get the temperature up to 82 degrees in the ISO tank. I just checked and the humidity dropped to 72% currently. I believe misting the Eco Earth in the actual tank will raise that back to 80% + once I get home from work.

This morning I gave him baths in the salt and fresh waters. He also ate more bee pollen for me too. That's all I had time to hand feed him this morning.

He also appears to be snacking on the Q-tips with various foods on them as well.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:26 am

I’m glad he is still hanging in there!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks, me too. If he has the strength and determination to get better, I'll give him the time to get him better. Right now I'm guessing I'm giving him about 2- 3 hours a day of my time to feed and bathe him.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Eddie's feeding went rather well tonight! It could be because his ISO tank is warmer now. I also bathe him in water the same temperature as his tank compared to room temperature.

Tonight he chowed down on Azomite, (silkworm pupae, daphnia, and chia seed mix), chicken and calci worms. He picked at my plant mix and Icelandic kelp/ wakame seaweed mix. He refused carrot, work poop, clover, rabbit, bee pollen, capelin fish, crab exo, nut medley, and popcorn/ oat mix.

I believe he could have just been full because he ate everything at first, picked then mostly refused foods.

It's amazing how much they can pack down when they enjoy something. Here are before and after pics of the silkworm pupae, daphnia, and chia mix.

Before feeding

After Feeding, he made it wet like that.

I'm very happy his appetite has been very good. That tells me he is strong and not giving up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:31 pm

Yay glad he is eating better

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:23 pm

This morning I gave Eddie some bee pollen after his baths.

This evening's feed went well. He really loves Azomite, he ate just about all of that! He also ate a good bit of the following beef liver, chicken heart,mysis shrimp and bloodworms. He only picked at the crab exo, calci worms, ocean whitefish, silkworm/ Daphnia/chia mix, and plant mix. He refused powdered peanut butter and calcium mix.

Sometime he comes way out of his shell while I am holding him. To the point his abdomen is almost exposed. It not because I'm holding the shell opening facing up either. Tonight while he was doing that I touched the back of his head. He didn't try to duck back into his shell. He put his eyes down and let me rub the top of his head! I'll have to upload the video.

EDIT:
Here is the clip of Eddie loving the Love.
https://youtu.be/s2eYq3-ZD2A

Here's another clip of how I have been feeding Eddie. It takes about an hour and a half each night.
https://youtu.be/QiGAGLx9r7w

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Wow, that’s a pretty long time: I can’t see the video now but I’m sure it was fun for you!