I dug

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Jamison

I dug

Post by Jamison » Sat May 25, 2019 8:09 pm

The past few days my substrate has been dry. Today I dug because I thought harry, who was molting , would suffocate. Turns out he had mooted and has just a small piece of his Edo keft. I iso'd him for a few hours, and he's doing fine. Hes back in the main tank now. I've been keeping an eye on him, but thankfully, I think he's going to be ok.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Oliviet#1

Re: I dug

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:00 am

That’s good.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm

They won't suffocate, when a crab digs it creates a pocket of air around it so that it can breathe, and that's why you should never attempt to recreate a crab hole, as we cannot replicate that hole made by a crab.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun May 26, 2019 7:52 pm

Odelay, if the sub gets too dry, the cave could collapse. I presume that's what the worry was - the sub was so dry that the cave would collapse and suffocate the crab who was under.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun May 26, 2019 9:27 pm

odelayheehoo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm
They won't suffocate, when a crab digs it creates a pocket of air around it so that it can breathe, and that's why you should never attempt to recreate a crab hole, as we cannot replicate that hole made by a crab.
I dug because I thought the tunnel would collapse.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Update: he seems fine. He is running on the wheel currently.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Jamison wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm
Update: he seems fine. He is running on the wheel currently.
:banana:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 29, 2019 2:27 pm

This was extremely dangerous. When crabs are down, they are down for a reason and it means they are not ready or safe to be topside. They are extremely weak post molt, and they still smell yummy to other crabs. This could have easy gone south and ended up with him ripped to shreds overnight by his tankmates. If a crab must be dug up, always iso afterwards for a few days to make sure it is okay and ready, and always bathe before reintroducing as it has not scrubbed the molting smell off by digging back up on it's own.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Thu May 30, 2019 8:21 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:27 pm
This was extremely dangerous. When crabs are down, they are down for a reason and it means they are not ready or safe to be topside. They are extremely weak post molt, and they still smell yummy to other crabs. This could have easy gone south and ended up with him ripped to shreds overnight by his tankmates. If a crab must be dug up, always iso afterwards for a few days to make sure it is okay and ready, and always bathe before reintroducing as it has not scrubbed the molting smell off by digging back up on it's own.
Yes he was isolated for two days. And bathed. I understand how dangerous it was but the substrate was bone dry.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 pm

Jamison wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:09 pm
The past few days my substrate has been dry. Today I dug because I thought harry, who was molting , would suffocate. Turns out he had mooted and has just a small piece of his Edo keft. I iso'd him for a few hours, and he's doing fine. Hes back in the main tank now. I've been keeping an eye on him, but thankfully, I think he's going to be ok.
You said you dug the day you posted this, iso'd him for a 'few hours' and then he was back in the main tank when you posted. That's the part that was dangerous - putting him back with the other crabs so soon. As Wode said, if you must dig, the crabs need to be isolated for at least a few days.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Fri May 31, 2019 6:05 am

curlysister wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 pm
You said you dug the day you posted this, iso'd him for a 'few hours' and then he was back in the main tank when you posted. That's the part that was dangerous - putting him back with the other crabs so soon. As Wode said, if you must dig, the crabs need to be isolated for at least a few days.
I posted this a few days after I dug.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Fri May 31, 2019 6:06 am

I apologize for how I worded this.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Jamison wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:06 am
I apologize for how I worded this.
lol at least your crab is good now. :)
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️