Post-molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Milj

Post-molt

Post by Milj » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:52 am

So my crab went down to molt the very end of July, and my other crab also went down about a day after I noticed the first dug. The first crab came up 3 days ago and the second came up yesterday. Both of them seem to be lethargic but I read that that's normal for post-molt crabs, however, it seems they've been extremely close, like they haven't moved out of the cocohut and they're currently right up against each other. I have seen some sand around the water bowls and food dish so I think they are at least moving at night. I'm just wondering if I should be doing something, because I also read that they still smell like food to each other after molting. Also how long does the post molt lethargy usually last?

For any questions regarding the tank environment it's the same as what I listed here

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Post-molt

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:07 pm

If they are above ground and their exo is hardened, they shouldn't want to eat each other.
Be sure you have lots of protein and calcium for them to choose from.
How's the humidity?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21 pm

I offer bee pollen and raw organic honey after I see somebody come up. Due to past observation, they develop relationships..like bf/gf and bff! Maybe yours are bonded now. Yes, I agree, make sure they have calciums, proteins! Watch your heat and humidity. Molting is hard and exhausting work! Give them time to recover and hopefully they will be back to being active soon! As far as how long, every crab is different. There are not set times for molts and recovery. Observe them, make notes and watch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:25 pm

Oh, I forgot about honey and bee pollen - I didn't offer any last time mine came up either! Thanks for adding that Xeno!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Milj

Post by Milj » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:12 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:07 pm
How's the humidity?
The humidity has been pretty strange since the end of June, it won't go under 70% but sometimes it'll be 71% and then it'll go up to 78% or stay at 75% or something. The moss I have seems to be helping but it doesn't stay wet for long when I have my desk lamp shining over it. It could be because the sand on the top isn't as wet but idk, it still holds its shape if you put your finger in. I wasn't expecting issues with humidity to happen when using one UTH on the side but here we are lmao

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Your other post said you have plastic wrap over 90% of it - you could cover the whole thing to keep the humidity in better.

Topic author
Milj

Post by Milj » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:45 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:42 pm
Your other post said you have plastic wrap over 90% of it - you could cover the whole thing to keep the humidity in better.
Yeah I considered that but I thought it wouldn't work since there wouldn't be enough of an opening for fresh air

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:52 pm

They get enough air exchange when you go in to change food and water.

Topic author
Milj

Post by Milj » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:58 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:52 pm
They get enough air exchange when you go in to change food and water.
Oh, I didn't realize that, thanks for telling me!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:48 pm

No worries!