No Crabs Up!!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

AwesomeHermit

Re: No Crabs Up!!

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:36 pm

Somehow I was able to have no molting problems with 3 medium sized crabs in a 10 gallon, but now I am having problems in a 29G
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:59 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:No, but I had two others come up and they molted after him. I just have that feeling if you know what I mean. I really hope he is just taking his time, but that would mean he would have a three month molt.
If he did die, that would mean I had two crabs die of a molting issue. I have 9 inches of substrate and correct substrate overall, so I can't figure out why they keey dying.
If there's no smell, don't give up yet! Maybe you can use the emergency template to see if someone can catch what's going on.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:13 pm

The problem is that I usually keep notes of when crabs go down so I have an estimate of when the crab will come up, but I forgot to do this for my crab. This resulted to me not knowing when he should have came up. I estimated he should have came up the end of last year, but since I didn't write his molt date down, I will never know.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:48 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:13 pm
The problem is that I usually keep notes of when crabs go down so I have an estimate of when the crab will come up, but I forgot to do this for my crab. This resulted to me not knowing when he should have came up. I estimated he should have came up the end of last year, but since I didn't write his molt date down, I will never know.
I'm praying for you and your crabby!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:56 pm

I pretty much never keep track of when my crabs go down. And so many times over the 9+ years, I have said to my husband that 'this time I am sure Cher has been down too long and is dead'. She is smaller than Sonny and molts for much longer. For some reason, I kept track this past spring. She went under on May long weekend, then came up for one day on August 16 and went down until October 9th. If I hadn't been looking at the tank that one afternoon in August, I would have thought she was under from mid May until Oct 19! That's five months, which is probably about the amount of time she goes down every time, and she is not a huge crab.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:25 pm

How big is she? Mine would probably be considered a large and a rough estimate of him being down would be 3-3.5 months. Waiting for molts are scary
Crabbing for 4 years!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:48 pm

Cher would probably be a medium, and Sonny a large. When Sonny went down right around the same time as her (third week of May - ish), he came back up on August 4th.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:40 pm

I really don’t think he made it :(
Crabbing for 4 years!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:57 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:I really don’t think he made it :(
I'm sorry. I was really keeping my fingers crossed for you. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav