7 crabs molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Sillymel

7 crabs molting

Post by Sillymel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 am

I have 7 PP and they are all molting right now. The last one just went down about a day ago. Is that okay or is something wrong? Do I continue to switch their food every other day? The 1st one went down about a month ago and the rest have followed. My crabitat is so boring right now. The weird thing is, one of them just molted before I switched tanks and now he’s down again. Is it normal to molt twice within a few weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 7 crabs molting

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:06 am

Hahaha, you have pet sand! LOL!
Some may just be de-stressing, not necessarily molting.
When I don't have anyone above ground, I put out dry food and only change it once it gets moldy.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Overmountain1

Re: 7 crabs molting

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Sillymel wrote:I have 7 PP and they are all molting right now. The last one just went down about a day ago. Is that okay or is something wrong? Do I continue to switch their food every other day? The 1st one went down about a month ago and the rest have followed. My crabitat is so boring right now. Image The weird thing is, one of them just molted before I switched tanks and now he’s down again. Is it normal to molt twice within a few weeks?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no- it just depends on the crab! Some will pull molts that are basically back to back, but most will molt and destress and then hang out under the sand just cause they’re so grateful for it. Crabbies do what crabbies do! I hate when all mine molt- it’s so boring ! Image Yes it is pretty normal- some tanks do all at once, and some do it separately, but I think it’s neat that they will all at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!