Surface molt? What do I do?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Macbear99

Surface molt? What do I do?

Post by Macbear99 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi all my name is Tyler. I bought two hermit crabs from petsmart about 4 months ago, and everything was going smoothly until this happened. It was yesterday morning and I was giving them new food and water when I saw my bigger crab was just sitting there like he was sleeping. His antenna were in his shell and I could only see the tips of his legs. He looked like he was sleeping so I thought maybe he was sleeping in or something. I checked again last night and today to see if he’d moved and he was still in the same spot as when I first saw him. It kinda scared me because he’s super active and isn’t scared easily unlike my smaller crab who hides whenever I walk by. I immediately thought he was dead but I saw his legs move a tiny bit and I read a few forums that said it could be a surface molt so here I am. If it is a surface molt what do I do? I don’t have an iso tank.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Surface molt? What do I do?

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 pm

Welcome to the HCA!
Does he look normal, like his coloring? In a surface molt, the crab will shed it's exo while on the surface, rather than digging down in the substrate. A surface molt is a sign that something is not right in the crab's conditions/ water/ diet/ environment. Him being inactive could be a few different things, surface molt being one of them.
If you would like to copy and paste the emergency template, we can help you trouble shoot your situation a bit more.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers