Rando upper-leg exoskeleton part found? Also crab hair

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

Rando upper-leg exoskeleton part found? Also crab hair

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 pm

I was doing my regular tank clean and water changes when I notitced there was an upper leg ( but hollow ) part of an exoskeleton within the salt water dish ( I've got 2 PPs atm )- Naturally I got concerned and rushed to inspect my crabs to see if they were missing any limbs, however fourtanely they seemed okay. The only idea I can think of that my largest crab, Odin, who was under for a little more than a month and only came up about 2 weeks ago. ( Or at least I assumed he molted)- whenever he came out I checked the area where he came out of and didn't see any crumbs or exoskeleton bits, but could've it be possible he hid it somewhere in the tank and only took it out?

Also, checking Odin today, while I'm pretty sure this is normal, I noticed there was some dark-blondish hair like material on Odin's large pincher, while I'm sure it is, is it normal?

Maddamay32

Re: Rando upper-leg exoskeleton part found? Also crab hair

Post by Maddamay32 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 pm

It probably is his exo (which is calming for you I'm sure), weird that he didn't eat it all tho. And yes the hairs you are seeing are "setae" they are part of the crabs exo as well, isn't that interesting? A hairy crab is a healthy crab!

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"