crab burrowed "window" next to glass, is it safe?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
EugeneKrabs

crab burrowed "window" next to glass, is it safe?

Post by EugeneKrabs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:46 pm

My crab has begun the molting process as of last night, and has dug down into the soil. However, they've dug right next to the glass, and seemed to have created a "window" in the dirt. The window is about as big as they are and I can seem them clearly in their burrow. Would this affect the molting process in any way or harm them if I leave it as is? Besides the window, they're entirely emerged in the soil. I was planning to tape some fabric on the glass so light won't bother them.

Motörcrab

Re: crab burrowed "window" next to glass, is it safe?

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:00 pm

It's safe,. I do what you said and cut a piece of cardboard to cover their window so it stays dark and light doesn't disturb them. They usually dig and move away.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:05 pm

How deep is your substrate? It looks to me like your crab is just fine, molting in a "window" has never been a problem with my crabs and they seemed to do just fine either way. Maybe covering the "window" with something might be a good idea so you don't stress out your crab to much by walking around and having the lights ect... I say just leave him alone, there is a chance that he might not decide to molt there anyway. Especially if he only just moved himself down yesterday. Is this his/her first molt in your care?
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
EugeneKrabs

Post by EugeneKrabs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:58 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:05 pm
How deep is your substrate? It looks to me like your crab is just fine, molting in a "window" has never been a problem with my crabs and they seemed to do just fine either way. Maybe covering the "window" with something might be a good idea so you don't stress out your crab to much by walking around and having the lights ect... I say just leave him alone, there is a chance that he might not decide to molt there anyway. Especially if he only just moved himself down yesterday. Is this his/her first molt in your care?
I've already taped on some board to cover them up. Vagabond had been showing signs of molting soon (eating/drinking a lot, ashy looking, bit less active), and I believe they were waiting for my other crab (Eugene) to finish their molt which was 2 days ago. Vaga literally just took over the spot that Eugene had been in. This is their first time molting in my care.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Light can mess up the hormones they need to release to molt properly, so covering the "window" with something that lets no light through is a good idea.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:24 pm

It's also fun to add sketches to the covers too!Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Bahahaha Motor, that cracks me up!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers