Post-molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post-molt

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:40 am

How long after my lil guy starts moving around in ISO do I wait to put him back in the main tank? He’s just a baby and a few days ago he was still a pale color. I can’t tell what his coloring is as it’s the middle of the night right now. Today he finished eating the chunk of exoskeleton that was next to him and now he’s moving around in his iso home. right now he is on top of one of the shells I left in there for him.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Re: Post-molt

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Yes I’ve read our molting care sheet. It hasn’t been updated since 2014, which is going on 6 years and what I’m asking isn’t really specified in there. I’m looking for experiences from other crabbers so I can introduce the lil guy back as close to the appropriate time as humanly possible :-) ty!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 pm

When did he molt? How long has be been in iso? Sorry I can't recall your other post!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi curly, ty for responding. He’s been gone (molting) for a month. He started before my small guy did. Small guy is coming up for food and going right back down. The mini in question is staying in a hole, uncovered but also now moving around, eating and a bright orange color with those black dots all over the legs. He was hanging on top of a shell that’s in there for a bit and then went back to his lil uncovered hole when he was done putzing around.

He seems like himself pre-molt. My only real fear is how small he is to the other one I have, which is a good size..(he’s next to molt given his color) if he has any yummy smell what so ever. I know the dipping in fresh water will help smell like the tank but I guess I’m just a worried crabby mom lol

Thanks for your time. Oh and His iso tank is in the main tank in the corner so he has had all the right temp/humidity. He had the correct substrate, water, shells and food.