First Molt Experience? Unsure

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Julsie

First Molt Experience? Unsure

Post by Julsie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:36 am

Around the beginning of December I found my PP Popeye outside of his shell and I didn’t know what to do. At the time I had 4 other crabs in the tank. Two were burrowed and the other two were out. I left him alone for a few days unsure and scared to move him. Went back to check and he was still outside of his shell next to it so scooped up the substrate underneath him and very gently I placed him in a bowl and grabbed some shells and put them in the bowl with him. The bowl remains inside the tank and I keep the other hermits away from it because I read that other crabs will kill a crab who is in the molting process? Its going on the end of the month of December and Popeye is still lifeless and hasn’t moved since I placed him in the bowl. My tank doesn’t stink or have an unusual odor so is he alive? Will I really be able to tell if he was dead by the smell? This is my first molting experience as a crab owner (I just recently got serious into hermits in October). Should I be concerned? Any suggestions as in should I place some food inside the bowl or something?

Crabby in NJ

Re: First Molt Experience? Unsure

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:02 am

Good morning. I would go to the emergency section and fill out the template. A shell-less crabbie is an emergency. Good luck hun.
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:31 am

I'm new myself, but agree with Crabby in NJ. Fill out the emergency form. You said he was molting but also without his shell, so is he in the surface then? Shell less and surface molts are both emergencies.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:34 am

Crabby in NJ wrote:Good morning. I would go to the emergency section and fill out the template. A shell-less crabbie is an emergency. Good luck hun.
Ok thanks i will post there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:35 am

Moe2076 wrote:I'm new myself, but agree with Crabby in NJ. Fill out the emergency form. You said he was molting but also without his shell, so is he in the surface then? Shell less and surface molts are both emergencies.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
Yes I believe its a surface molt. I will post in the emergency section

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Julsie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:34 am
Ok thanks i will post there

No problem and good luck with everything.
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!