Adding sand during a molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
HermitMama25

Post by HermitMama25 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:00 am

A couple days ago we upgraded to a 40 gallon tank after getting a couple new hermits, so now we have 4. (two quarter size, one just smaller than a golf ball, and one in between a golf ball and a tennis ball in size). I did not have enough substrate (I put in 50 pounds of playsand, 10 pounds of calcium sand/soil, all mixed with EcoEarth, but it still only came to about 4”) but before I could get more, the two newest (and largest) hermits buried and haven’t come out. I think they might be molting but one of them is a big guy (He’s between a golf ball and tennis ball in size). There is less than an inch to an 1 1/2” of substrate covering him. I have more sand now, is safe to add substrate after they are already buried? If so, is there a particular way to add it safely? It is playsand mixed with EcoEarth and is sand castle consistency.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adding sand during a molt

Post by curlysister » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:37 am

Yes, you can add up to an inch of sub per 24hours - as long as you don't pack it down.
Also, please note that calcium sand is NOT safe for hermit crabs - it turns to cement when it gets wet.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Wysper

Post by Wysper » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am

Unfortunately, due to the calcium sand, you may want to remove all of your substrate and start over.... A neighbor of mine had put calcium sand in her tank (without my knowing) and one of her big one's dug down..... she found the shell with the crab solidified inside as if he was fossilized...

Wysper

Post by Wysper » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am

And.... I should say "You NEED to remove all of your substrate and start over". There is no "may" about that.... :-(

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Agree with the others about the calcium sand. Even if it's a low quantity that's mixed in with the other types of substrate, it is not safe at all.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:14 pm

I’ve read of some people using calcium sand in their substrate as a supplement. IMO, if you added another 2” of the 5:1 ratio of playsand:eco earth and mixed it up, I think you’d be ok, you can’t really mix it with him being down though. I’d probably check with wodesorel, aussieJJdude, or another member that knows for sure though. I’m not sure what the acceptable amount of calcium sand for a supplement is.

Topic author
HermitMama25

Post by HermitMama25 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:08 pm

Wysper wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am
And.... I should say "You NEED to remove all of your substrate and start over". There is no "may" about that....

Topic author
HermitMama25

Post by HermitMama25 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:16 pm

Wysper wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am
And.... I should say "You NEED to remove all of your substrate and start over". There is no "may" about that.... :-(
Do I change the substrate while they’re molting? Is there a safe way to do that?

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but only 5 lbs was actual plain calcium sand. So it was 50 lbs. of play sand mixed with Eco Earth, 5 lbs. sand/soil mix with added calcium, and then the 5 lbs off actual plain calcium sand.