Unknown reason for recent crab death

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Unknown reason for recent crab death

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:34 pm

Hello, I just recently had a crab pass. I have had my crabs for a good year in a half and out of the total of 19 crabs I have had 2 pass one because of being poorly cared for previously and the other I am not sure why. He was a very small PP, and I had could have sworn I had seen him the day prior climbing and wandering around. The next day I found him behind a hideout barely covered. He had just recently molted perfectly fine and even when I did look around where his body was I found no sign of him trying to molt. Does anyone know why he died?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unknown reason for recent crab death

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 pm

It's hard to say what happened.
What do you have for water/ pools?
What do you feed them?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:15 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 pm
What do you feed them?
I have Tupper ware dishes that they can fully submerge in. I feed them greensand, eggshell, crabby granola, coconut, chia seeds, wheat grass, micro greens, chia sprouts, apple, organic oatmeal, color enhancer, meadow mix, turkey, beef, chicken, meal worms, crickets , banana, peas, lettuce, flax seed, non salted nuts and other seeds, pellets, white rice, basil, cilantro, mint, lamb, rose petals, Timothy hay, oregano leaves, and chaga.

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:33 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 pm
What do you feed them?
Oh and honey and spring mix. The venison, carrots, spring blend ( lettuce mix from Walmart) are not regular on the menu. I give the crabs random stuff in the summer such as strawberrys and oranges as well.