how long?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
purplepincher

how long?

Post by purplepincher » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:35 pm

my medium sized crab, acorn, has been under for a month now. starting to worry a bit, since my hermies arnt the most reliable molters (rip shadow, mango, salty, and salsa.)

yeah, I have had a LOT of molters die underround, wheather from being eaten or having their tunnels collapse FOR NO APPERENT REASON

my tank conditions are great, btw, with 80% humidity and 70 degrees during winter

eco earh substrate, 5 inches. spring water and saltwater in cage, 10 gallon tank, glass, mesh lid with some plastic wrap on top. lots of climbing tools and toys, 2 hides, plan to have more.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: how long?

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:47 pm

Don't worry yet, I wouldn't worry until the 4 month mark if at all. Your temp could be a bit warmer for them, 75-80. If your crab is a true medium, you might also benefit from deeper sub. Many people have better luck with a mix of play sand and EE.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
purplepincher

Re: how long?

Post by purplepincher » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:19 pm

thanks curlysister. Also, i see you got moderator while I was gone. CONGRADULATIONS! you have contributed a lot to this forum since i first joined!

also, I am upgrading to a 20 gal tall as soon as acorn gets up, with 7 inches of sand/eco earth mix. I will also get a new heat mat.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!