How long is too long for my hermit crab to be molting?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
hayleyg10

How long is too long for my hermit crab to be molting?

Post by hayleyg10 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:07 pm

I have 2 hermit crabs, one small and one large (just smaller than a tennis ball). The large hermit crab went under the substrate to molt on January 29, and since then has not come up. I know that larger crabs take longer to molt, but is this too long? Should I start being concerned? I’ve maintained the temperature and humidity the whole time, and changed the food hoping he’ll surface. The smaller hermit crab even molted for a little over a month and finally surfaced today. Any advice and knowledge is appreciated!!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How long is too long for my hermit crab to be molting?

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:18 pm

It sounds like it's been under for about three months now. I'd give it more time.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:20 pm

They can stay down for months! Don't worry! They will come up when they are ready. Just don't go digging.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

trashbees

Post by trashbees » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:26 pm

I wouldn't worry. Upgraded the tank and had a single crab that hadn't come up. Waited months for her to come to the surface, nothing. Eventually convinced myself she was dead, did the big no-no of digging for crabs, found her just chilling at the bottom of the tank in a nice cozy hidey hole, no signs of having molted recently or having prepared for a molt. Perfectly fine.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 pm

If they went down late January then I would not be concerned. 4 month mark is when I get worried
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 pm

trashbees wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:26 pm
I wouldn't worry. Upgraded the tank and had a single crab that hadn't come up. Waited months for her to come to the surface, nothing. Eventually convinced myself she was dead, did the big no-no of digging for crabs, found her just chilling at the bottom of the tank in a nice cozy hidey hole, no signs of having molted recently or having prepared for a molt. Perfectly fine.
How long was the molt?
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

trashbees

Post by trashbees » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:15 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 pm
How long was the molt?
No clue! But regardless of molting time it should be perfectly fine if your crab is underground for extended periods of time.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:09 pm

I’ve been waiting 7 months, I know he’s gone but I can never get rid of the “small spark of hope”
Crabbing for 4 years!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:15 pm

Here's the way I look at it. If the crab is dead, there is nothing you can do for it even if you dig it up.
But if the crab is alive. you could do potentially fatal damage by digging it up.

The only exception of course is an emergency such as a flood or bacterial bloom.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:32 am

Curly is right. Once they are down there isn't much you can do. We have crabs that have been MIA since around mid December. I read recently on another group of one of their members having a crab resurface after a year!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities