Found Shell But No Crab

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Julsie

Found Shell But No Crab

Post by Julsie » Sat May 02, 2020 4:04 am

Sooooo the majority of my crabs have all been under since January. For the longest I only had 2 crabs out instead of all 10. One by one they’re surfacing and currently from what I can tell is 4-6 are out right now and not burrowed. Though I did have one of my larger hermies re-surface about 2 weeks ago after going down a couple months ago, but it seems that they have re-burrowed themselves because I’ve looked all around my tank and haven’t seen them. Which I think is odd. Why come up after being down for so long just to go back down again? But anyways I was rearranging some things in the crabitat and as I was moving something around near the substrate I hit an object. I checked to see what I had bumped into and it was a shell... an empty shell. On the far left side of my tank I have a shell shop and I found this empty shell on the far right side of the tank. I do not remember if this particular shell was occupied by a crab and/or what crab occupied it. If I have to take a guess i’m gonna assume that there was a crab inside of the shell and was molting but died because of molting issues or was murdered by another crab and eaten. How else would that shell end up over there? I don’t smell anything inside of the tank and I don’t know if I should dig slowly and gently in the area that I found the shell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edit: to answer any questions you might ask ~ my substrate is 6inch ee. i have 2 large pools salt & regular fresh deep enough to submerge. 50ish shells in all sizes in a shell shop. i feed them daily products from hermies kitchen/hermit grub/etc from etsy, right now the bags of food are: smoothie, trail mix, veggie, worm casting, skeletal power repair, color enhancement. humidity currently at 78%, temp currently is 80degrees f.

edit pt 2: I literally made this post like 10mins ago and the larger hermie that I mentioned earlier (went down for a molt, finally came up, disappeared again) well i’m watching him re-surface right now. how funny.
Last edited by Julsie on Sat May 02, 2020 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Found Shell But No Crab

Post by curlysister » Sat May 02, 2020 11:11 am

I would not dig. If there had been a crab in there are it's not anymore, digging isn't really going to give you any additional information, and it is doubtful that there is a crab in distress that needs help. You risk injuring other crabs who are under, if you dig.
How big is your tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Julsie

Re: Found Shell But No Crab

Post by Julsie » Sat May 02, 2020 6:43 pm

curlysister wrote:I would not dig. If there had been a crab in there are it's not anymore, digging isn't really going to give you any additional information, and it is doubtful that there is a crab in distress that needs help. You risk injuring other crabs who are under, if you dig.
How big is your tank?
75 gal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk