Crab under water bowl

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Crab under water bowl

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sat May 09, 2020 8:58 pm

I was changing the water pools today, and when I picked up the freshwater, I noticed an air pocket underneath it. It's nighttime and the lighting isn't great so I can't tell exactly, but pretty sure there's a crab buried in that air pocket (all three went down a while ago for a molt). There's a possibility he's not molting, but I feel really bad for uncovering him especially if he's preparing to molt or is in the process. However, I still have to lift the pools for changing- so not much I can do except keep exposing him every five days for thirty minutes. Any advice?
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

CrabbyLover77

Re: Crab under water bowl

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:17 pm

avocadocrabbies wrote:I was changing the water pools today, and when I picked up the freshwater, I noticed an air pocket underneath it. It's nighttime and the lighting isn't great so I can't tell exactly, but pretty sure there's a crab buried in that air pocket (all three went down a while ago for a molt). There's a possibility he's not molting, but I feel really bad for uncovering him especially if he's preparing to molt or is in the process. However, I still have to lift the pools for changing- so not much I can do except keep exposing him every five days for thirty minutes. Any advice?
What kind of containers/dishes are you using? If you are using plastic containers, like the reusable ziplock containers, make sure you have 2 for each pool. You place one container in the sand empty, and then place the second one in on top, and fill it with water. Now, when you go to change the water, you'll lift only the top container out. The dry second container will hold the shape in the sand and any tunnels the crabbies might be digging. Then he won't be exposed or disturbed when you need to change the water. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:23 pm

These are MotörCrab's pools. Can you see on the left how there are 2 containers, one inside the other? That's what I'm talking about, how one will be a place holder while you change the water in the top pool. Image
Since you have a crabby underneath, just make sure not to push them down into the sand.Image

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 pm

Those are in our 65 gallon. Those crabs are always digging. We also have those in our baby tank and the 55. Plus, if the dishes spring a leak, the water doesn't get into the sub and cause flooding or bacterial blooms. I used a cork screw to make the holes to connect the mesh with zip ties.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 am

Those are great ideas! My two water pools are currently not the stackable ziplock kind, but I'll get some soon. Thanks!
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 am

avocadocrabbies wrote:Those are great ideas! My two water pools are currently not the stackable ziplock kind, but I'll get some soon. Thanks!
You're welcome! Image

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 10, 2020 2:35 pm

No one actually answered avacado's question. I don't know the answer.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun May 10, 2020 6:14 pm

Avacado asked what they can do to avoid uncovering their crab every 5 days. Using the doubled up water dishes will avoid it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:08 pm

curlysister wrote:Avacado asked what they can do to avoid uncovering their crab every 5 days. Using the doubled up water dishes will avoid it.
That's what I thought the question was lol. Image She'll have to uncover him one more time to switch the dishes, but that should be it.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:14 pm
Avacado asked what they can do to avoid uncovering their crab every 5 days. Using the doubled up water dishes will avoid it.
Oops. You're right. I guess I thought she meant now at that moment.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi