Molting with bad substrate

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Lucieshermitcrabs

Molting with bad substrate

Post by Lucieshermitcrabs » Wed May 27, 2020 7:21 am

:crabblush: :crabblush: :crabblush: I have two hermit crab down for molting, and I can tell my third wants to go down. But the substrate is to dry. As I was in aware that just eco earth is bad for there molting habits. So what do I do? How can I dampen the soil without it collapsing the other hermit crabs cave. Please I really need help. Maybe, I could get a small temporary travel Plastic tanks And put her in there with a sand eco mixture. But only for when she molts. When she comes up she will go back in the main. But it would be easier for me to know how to dampen the soil for now. After all three crabs rise. I will add sand.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting with bad substrate

Post by curlysister » Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 am

All EE is not dangerous for molting, it is just harder to maintain (it can flood easier or mold easier).
I would try to add a bit of water along the sides, and mist the surface a bit. Don't get carried away, just a bit at a time.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

PhillyCrabbie

Post by PhillyCrabbie » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:46 am

I’ve seen people say this before. How do you know your crabs what’s to molt? What are the signs?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:50 am

Please check out our guide on molting. You can find it under the board index. :)

If you mist, use dechlorinated freshwater. Try not to mist too much.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com