Under the water

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Lucieshermitcrabs

Under the water

Post by Lucieshermitcrabs » Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 pm

:clap: I have a clear water bowl and my hermit crab is getting ready to molt. She is under the bowl. Is that ok if she moly’s under it? Or should I provide an iso tank with the correct molting conditions because in the main, the soil is a bit dry.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Under the water

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Hello :) Are your dishes doubled? If not then this won't work. Molting takes several months and your water will need to be changed if she is not the only crab. She doesn't need a separate iso tank. This is why a lot of us recommend using double dishes as water bowls. You can use cheap tupperware containers.

Double dishes: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... r#p1030806
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Lucieshermitcrabs

Post by Lucieshermitcrabs » Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 pm

I do not have doubled dishes i only have one fresh and one salt. She is under the fresh. I do have other crabs but they are molting underground and went down before the soil turned dry. Maybe i could scoop the water out and add new water without removing the bowl. If changing the water is necessary when all hermits are molting. I was actually going to ask that so thank you! Also do I have to put food out of all of them are under ground?

Topic author
Lucieshermitcrabs

Post by Lucieshermitcrabs » Wed May 27, 2020 8:43 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 pm
Hello :) Are your dishes doubled? If not then this won't work. Molting takes several months and your water will need to be changed if she is not the only crab. She doesn't need a separate iso tank. This is why a lot of us recommend using double dishes as water bowls. You can use cheap tupperware containers.

Double dishes: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... r#p1030806
[/I do not have doubled dishes i only have one fresh and one salt. She is under the fresh. I do have other crabs but they are molting underground and went down before the soil turned dry. Maybe i could scoop the water out and add new water without removing the bowl. If changing the water is necessary when all hermits are molting. I was actually going to ask that so thank you! Also do I have to put food out of all of them are under ground?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Lucieshermitcrabs wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 pm
I do not have doubled dishes i only have one fresh and one salt. She is under the fresh. I do have other crabs but they are molting underground and went down before the soil turned dry. Maybe i could scoop the water out and add new water without removing the bowl. If changing the water is necessary when all hermits are molting. I was actually going to ask that so thank you! Also do I have to put food out of all of them are under ground?
You could use a turkey baster to change the water - but I've never had luck with those things! LOL! You would have to be really careful not to hit the bowl though. It doesn't take much to collapse molting tunnels.

Even when you have molting crabs, you still want to provide fresh waters and food because you never know when they will come up :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com