How long?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
aslansgirl89

How long?

Post by aslansgirl89 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:35 pm

So, I have seen neither antenna nor claw from either of my 2 crabbies for like 2 months now and I am starting to get concerned about whether or not they are alive at this point because they have never taken this long to molt before. They are small-medium sized tending more towards medium and so maybe this is normal as they are obviously growing each time and so I am guessing that each molt will be progressively longer but I just wanted to check and see if 2 months is abnormal for a molt time? I have been regularly performing the "sniff test" of the tank every time I check on them as I am well acquainted with the smell of crabs that have gone to crabby heaven from the follies of my youth when I had them as a kid but I haven't smelled anything off at all. Anyway, I am rambling so I will stop. Just wanted to get a little bit of advice. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wlfwo

Re: How long?

Post by Wlfwo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:48 pm

I've had them down for almost 4 months, talk about nerve wracking. I've got one down now that I'm pretty sure is gone, but there is no smell, so am waiting. It's been 5 months or so.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:58 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned yet.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Each crab has a different time frame for how long it takes for them to molt. A lot depends on their size. When all of our crabs are down, we tend to call our tanks pet sand :) I know it's hard, but try to be patient. If your tank specs are on point, they are doing fine! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 am

Kaladin finally emerged this morning and is so much bigger and PURPLE! He was usually my lighter one so I had to check the sex to identify him because he looked so different from when he went down! Here's a before and after comparison. First one is today! ImageImage

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 am

Another Pic of my recently returned crabby eating some cuttlebone! Excuse the quality but he's my shy guy and if I had gotten any closer, he would have run away! I am just so happy to see him that I keep checking in on him! I actually squealed, "Crabby!" when I saw him above ground this morning! Most people don't get my excitement about these small things but I am glad to have a place where everyone can understand the joy of seeing a crab return after a successful molt! Now we just have to wait for Shallan! Claws crossed she is successful too. Image

SnipSnapDad

Post by SnipSnapDad » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:43 pm

I have two small PPs and they tend to be gone for around 3-4 weeks at a time. It really depends on the age and its good to remember all crabs are a little different. Some might just feel the need to hang out underground for longer periods of time! Glad to see one has returned and looks healthy!