Small molter under for 4 months

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Small molter under for 4 months

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I moved in Feb of this year. I had all 4 of my crabs in my 20 gal L, and moved them all that way. 2 crabs were up and 2 crabs were under. My one crab, Kaulder, did well with the move and came up from her molt ok. My other crab, June Bug, has been under since the move. She's the only one left in that tank. I change out the food about every 3 days. Nothing is ever touched, and there are no marks in the sand. I'm worried she didn't survive the move. She is a small crab, bigger than a quarter, but smaller than a half dollar. Would the 6 month mark be an appropriate time to dig for a crab her size? That would be 2 months from now. If it's longer than that, that's ok too, I can wait. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by CrabbyLover77 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Small molter under for 4 months

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:59 pm

Hmmm....there probably isn't just one correct answer to this. If you are able to keep two tanks going, there is no harm in waiting. If the crab has passed away, digging won't help. Personally, I think six months is a fair time to wait and then dig.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:18 am

Six months sounds like a good benchmark. Most crabs don’t molt for more than four months, including jumbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:24 am

Thank you Curly and JH!
I'll wait until the 6 month mark to look for her then. I can def keep both tanks going. Once I find out what happened to June Bug, I plan to keep the 20 gal up as an iso. I was really hoping she was ok. I rescued her on my bday last year. She was my little bday present.
I'll respond here in August to let you know what happened.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 pm

It was almost 6 months since I had seen June Bug, so I decided to dig for her a couple of weeks ago.

I found 10 shells, and a coconut hut that had went missing. One of the shells had very very tiny pieces of crab left in it that came out when I rinsed them. So poor June Bug either died during the move and decayed, or another one of my crabbies ate her before they were moved to the big tank. I'm not sure which. Rip June Bug.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:29 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 pm
It was almost 6 months since I had seen June Bug, so I decided to dig for her a couple of weeks ago.

I found 10 shells, and a coconut hut that had went missing. One of the shells had very very tiny pieces of crab left in it that came out when I rinsed them. So poor June Bug either died during the move and decayed, or another one of my crabbies ate her before they were moved to the big tank. I'm not sure which. Rip June Bug. Image

I'm so sorry.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:19 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
I'm so sorry.
Thank you so much.
I'm just glad that I got to rescue her, and that she lived the the good life for a little while at least.

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Oh no, I'm sorry

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:Oh no, I'm sorry Image

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
Thank you so much. Image