Is my Crab Going to Molt?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
hermit_crab_mommy

Post by hermit_crab_mommy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:43 pm

I have 3 PP hermit crabs including my smallest, Blue. I had only like 2 inches of substrate in the tank but I added some to make it about 6 inches. Blue has been looking at bigger shells and have been digging lots of holes and hiding and is not as active. I also noticed him in his food and water more. I have not had my hermit crabs long and I here that molting is very stressful and I want to be even more prepared if this is going to happen. Based on this, is my crab, Blue, going to molt?
New owner of 3 purple pinchers who I love

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is my Crab Going to Molt?

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:58 pm

I've seen crabs eat like crazy before molting, and I've seen crabs become lethargic before molting. So, it's hard to say. Make sure you have plenty of shells that are larger than the shell that your crab is currently in because their molt sac gets big and the current shell becomes uncomfortable for them. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
hermit_crab_mommy

Post by hermit_crab_mommy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 pm

The answer was yes, lol. He’s molting now.
New owner of 3 purple pinchers who I love