What to do after a molt?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
erickfvelasquez

What to do after a molt?

Post by erickfvelasquez » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Hey everyone! My biggest crab Heidi just finished her first molt (also my first molt) it took around 2 months and she just resurfaced yesterday! I was so happy to see her come out successfully!! Just wondering if there are any things that you all do after a crab comes out to help them after a molt? I sprinkled crushed oyster shells and I have cuttlebone out to give them calcium but any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

I have another crab molting under right now too hopefully all goes well!

CrabbyLover77

Re: What to do after a molt?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:32 pm

erickfvelasquez wrote:Hey everyone! My biggest crab Heidi just finished her first molt (also my first molt) it took around 2 months and she just resurfaced yesterday! I was so happy to see her come out successfully!! Just wondering if there are any things that you all do after a crab comes out to help them after a molt? I sprinkled crushed oyster shells and I have cuttlebone out to give them calcium but any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

I have another crab molting under right now too hopefully all goes well!
So cute!
Cuttlebone and oyster shells are great! Make sure you have lots of protein for her too. You can also provide some organic/local honey if you have it. Honey is supposed to be a healing food, so I would assume it's good for crabbies after a molt too. :)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:19 pm

I just give a balanced diet, maybe at most some fragrant foods (both nice and not so nice) as they are usually drawn to the smells. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
erickfvelasquez

Post by erickfvelasquez » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks for advice! I feed them the hermitcrabpatch wings n things and surf and turf mix for protein but I’ll definitely try raw honey and some more fragrant foods :)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:37 pm

erickfvelasquez wrote:Thanks for advice! I feed them the hermitcrabpatch wings n things and surf and turf mix for protein but I’ll definitely try raw honey and some more fragrant foods :)
Sounds good! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav