Worried

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Re: Worried

Post by crabbycasey » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:52 pm

He has like 6 shells to choose from...some a little smaller, bigger and same size. Detest those painted ones, grrr! He’s already moved all the way into his hut so that’s something! Lol. I will def keep you posted!! Here he is when he was active (for the first couple of days)...

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:42 pm

I'm so glad he moved!!!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:40 pm

HCA does NOT recommend bathing crabs. It can stress them further, and is not needed. They carry a balance of fresh and salt water in their shells - they will go into the pools/ dishes as they need to.

Pumpkincrab, how long have you had your crabs? Why do you think that bathing is going to help an already possibly stressed crab?

Edited to add - CrabbyCasey, you don't need to buy fancy mixes. Crabs can eat much of what we eat, just without preservatives or additives.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:58 pm

I'm so sorry. As I do not have a saltwater pool right now(almost have it, need one more material) I thought it would be alright. I did not know it would stress them out! I'm so sorry, now I feel like crap.
Casey, I'm so sorry if my advice further harmed Flash. It's totally my fault! I'm so so sorry.
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:15 am

Pumpkincrab wrote:I'm so sorry. As I do not have a saltwater pool right now(almost have it, need one more material) I thought it would be alright. I did not know it would stress them out! I'm so sorry, now I feel like crap.
Casey, I'm so sorry if my advice further harmed Flash. It's totally my fault! I'm so so sorry.
I reread over your posts and I think I caught what you meant about putting Flash in the saltwater if he was being bullied, it just didn't come out right. Sometimes when crabs are fighting or having "disagreements", the hca recommends dipping each crab in the fresh or salt water so they have a neutral smell. This can sometimes stop them from fighting. Is this what you meant?
Also, I'd def get your saltwater asap (make sure it's a marine salt) for your crabs. It's super important. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:33 am

Aw, Pumkincrab it is okay, please do not stress! You have been wonderful. He came out!! Remember I told you how he moved into his own hut after I dipped him?...Well, he came out of his hut from around 1am-6:30am!!! He was all over the place, eating and hanging out on the moss pit!! I was so so happy this morning when I watched my videos!! Lol. Now if I can just get him out of that stupid painted shell.

Curlysister, thank you! I’ve read lots of your posts including the one about the right concoction of salt (I use Instant Ocean) and fresh (dechlorinated) water...thought it was pretty cool and learned no bathing. I thought what me and Pumpkincrab were working on was just something to stimulate him so that I could check him out to be sure he was ok. I’m not positive he was being bullied by my bigger girl Hermie, but interestingly enough, he came out and moved around once I got him out of her hut with her. Never saw him move and it’s why I was so worried...plus I had just lost 2 small ones back to back (Jonathon on here helped me a lot with those 2 and also had me dip in saltwater to see if it would revive them so I figured it was standard practice in those situations). I got a Wyze Cam (thanks to Pumpkincrabs suggestion and motorcrabs help getting it to work, haha) and he still never came out. Do you think she was holding him hostage in there Image? I had done the water dip thing with her first and then with Flash when I introduced him to the tank...probably from reading one of your posts, lol! Never saw them fight or anything, just some up close antenna touching and they seemed fine...but once Flash was in her hide, he never came out again until I took him out yesterday. He was so tight back in his shell, I couldn’t inspect him to see if he was ok and that’s where his little salt bath came in to play. Im sorry and feel terrible if I stressed him even more, trying to do the opposite. This is why I love it here...everyone is so helpful and I just want these adorable little creatures to have there best life they can at this point, no more stress! The food thing, I know (read) they don’t need those mixes, but that they like them. I figured they were just another way to spoil hermies with deliciousness, haha. They currently eat egg shells, oats, coconut, peanut butter, honey, apples, grapes...and looking forward to trying new things. Just so happy this morning that my little Flash is ok!! Here are some pictures of him from last night...
He has now set up shop behind his hide, dug down in the corner, haha. So relieved! Thank you to you both, so very appreciative!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:43 am

YES! That's amazing! I'm so happy for Flash!!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:59 am

Gooooo Flash! haha Im so glad he is OK!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:46 pm

How is Flash doing?

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 pm

He dug into a corner of the tank behind his hut hide and has not moved all day, haha. He had done this in the same spot for a day when I first got him. Seems like a weird spot, but I guess he likes it, lol. As long as he’s happy! How’s Pine, getting back to normal I hope?

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks for asking, I'm glad Flash is OK. Pine is recovering, and Blackberry even came to say hi to her! Maybe telling her to get better soon.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Aww, a little hermie moral support, I love it! Or she was showing off her new shell, lol!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Maybe! Blackberry kept climbing all over and next to Pine. Pine just sat there watching. I think she is the guardian of the colony!

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:20 am

Omg, I love it! I want to get a bigger tank and 2 more little crabbies...so there’s more of that colony feel and not just the 2 of them. Plan on asking my boyfriend for Xmas, lol. He thinks I’m crazy...but I’ll proudly be the crazy crab lady! Lol.

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:48 am

That sounds great!
Being a crazy crab lady is fun. When you have a few crabs (such as 4, like me) you find out the friendships of the group. Pine and Pumpkin are the same size roughly while Mango and Blackberry are very small. Pumpkin and Pine seem to like each other, and Mango and Blackberry have been seen sitting next to each other. Pine was the first crab I got, so naturally she seems to be the leader of the group. Pumpkin is really outgoing, while Mango is SUPER shy but seems to like Blackberry. In a way they have their own friendships, it's so cute!