Indo molter damaged!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Indo molter damaged!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:59 am

Hi, I recently had one of my Indo's come up from a 2 month molt. I noticed that his BP is deformed (the upper tip is not there). He also has scabs on his feeding arm and back that are black in color but concave...sort of like something is eating at him (I have detected no bugs, mites etc.) His color is washed out...he used to be lavender clawed with pinky white body and his back was almost as dark as his BP. Now you can barely see the purple and he is mostly white and green on his back??? He was well fed, with mostly fresh veggies and supplimented with vites and calcium powder along with my other crabbies; had ocean salt water and fresh water properly decholrinated for at least 3 months before his molt. My other molters (PP's and E's) are fine...he molted under a deciduous piece of driftwood and the temp and humidity were stable at 77degrees and 78 rel. humidity. He was in a mix of 50/50 forest bedding and river sand (not silica) . Igor, another one of my Indo's is preparing to molt I think...he has been stuffing his face by practically living in the food dish and if he isn't there he is in the water dish...I assume this is premolt behavior because most of me E's do this for a week or two and then disappear! :D Any ideas??? I am worried!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:06 pm

green and eating away... almost sounds like mold, don't it?

If he got holes on his body... Asmoday has one hole in her back plate and I've seen a tiny little spot like that on Big Guy...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm totally guessing here, but black spots eating away at the exo, sounds like a bacterial problem. Give him some regular FMR crab food and see if he gets better. The FMR stuff is balanced food and supposed to be the best.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:01 pm

Look at my gallery of crab problems and tell me if the spot looks like the one on Diago. If so send me an email at foreverpurple3 -at- msn and I will send you a organic bath to help it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:25 pm

Daethian, I didn't see the pictures you mentioned in that album, just Wimblee?

Chestersmom, does it look like this?

A member of another board warned me it could be a bacterial problem commonly referred to as "shell disease". I did a deep clean of the tank, moved the crab with the problem, but my next molter has the very tip of the large section his big pincher missing. These are small crabs; it really could be trouble if my Indos molt.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:37 pm

I seen the one daethian mentioned in first large album...on the E 3rd or 4 th pic... it looks just like that...and the one you posted ckbythesea, My Bob is about the size of an extremely large walnut so yes it looks quite devistating... he has been eating okay but he is not as frisky as he was premolt... I had done a deep clean at the end of November, including boiling all my extra shells, But Bob molted maybe a week before that and he has stayed in his old shell... if it is what you think what can I do???

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:49 pm

Sorry... I may have them in the wrong album.

I'll try to get them moved.

After talking at length with a couple very experienced crabbers about the crabs and circumstances leading up to the condition, I'm fairly certain the spots are damage or wounds sustained while the exo was still soft. Either from laying againt something or attack from another crab.