crab's leg stuck in exo

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

crab's leg stuck in exo

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:47 am

i just checked on my little cavipe, the one i watched molting, and his armor leg is stuck in his exo. i don't really know what to do. i'm thinking just leave him alone, so either he'll get it off himself or he'll drop the leg. i know others here have experience with this, so could any of you guys help me out?

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:57 am

If that is all that is stuck, I would let him get rid of it. My Indo had the same problem and he freed his leg.

Can you take a pic?
That will give us a better idea of how much is stuck.
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:10 am

just the tip, like after the last knuckle part of the leg is stuck, and he's trying to get it off, like rubbing his other leg and bp on it and stuff.

i'll go take a pic and update in a few mins

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:35 am

ok, he got the exo off of his leg, but now his leg looks like it's broken or deformed. it sticks almost straight out at a funny angle, and i don't think he can bend it.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:07 pm

Oh good! im glad he got it off! YEAY!

heck be fine with his leg like that...Ive had a couple come out of molts with crooked legs and they do just fine. If its really bugging him he will molt in another month or two and his leg will gradually go back to the normal curvature with each molt.

I have a pp who had a deformed leg after her first molt, it took her two molts, but now its perfect! I have a ruggie that had that problem too, and she was fine after a couple molts.

<the wonders of commercial crab food>
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:15 pm

I just had the same thing happen with two of my E's! I had never had that happen before either so I just left them alone and they managed to free themselves. Their legs were deformed and one dropped only the deformed tip. Good luck!