Do I need a ISO tank ???**

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Do I need a ISO tank ???**

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi all,
I just found that one of my PPs just has dug herself a tunnel under the water Fountian. From what I read on the site this means she is getting ready for a mult. Ok, now do I take her out and put her in her own tank ??? It states everywhere Never dig them out.. So am I between a rock and a hard place???
This is my first mult experience and I just want to get through it, or should I say I just want Hermie to get through it alive. I hear so many horror stories.
I know this topic is played out but I really dont know what to do... :oops:
Thanx
Donna

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:44 pm

How long has the hermie been dug under? They do dig a lot for reasons other than molting. I personally would leave her alone for a few weeks UNLESS your gut feeling is that something could be wrong and you need to go dig for her. I have hermies that go under for 3-4 days at a time just because they want to. Its hard to say what they're planning most of the time. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:15 pm

so its ok that they are in the general tank? Its a 30Gal and like I said hes under the fountian so he is safe. I cant see him but I saw that someone dug so I just took a look and it was him so I coveverd it back up quick and hes fine.
Ok, I guess Ill let nature take its course.
Thank You,
Donna

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:59 am

I usually just leave mine alone unless I catch them before they dig down. Right before we moved, I had a mass molt on my hands. The last crab came up the day we were moving out of our house in NY. I just left them alone and when they surfaced, that's when I put them in ISO. That way they would be less likely to bother the other molters and would also have alone time to strengthen up.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:14 am

Great thats what I'll do, I'll wait till he comes back up.. Hes got quite the tunnel for himself. thats so cool.. :D
I had no Idea Hermie was going into a molt. He wasnt showing any signs at all untill I found him...
I have another crabie going into a molt that is showing all the signs but not him...mummm
oh, well..lol
Hope he makes it back Ok.... :(
Hes my first crabie. I miss him and its only been thurs. :(