Regenerate small pincher?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Regenerate small pincher?

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:37 am

just rescued 3 crabbies in bad condition from a local pet store, 2 had a lost limb while the last 1 had a lost limb and his small pincher was gone...will it able to grow the lost small pincher back during molting? :( I have not yet identify the species yet...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:52 am

I'm no expert, ut from what I've learned, yes he should get it back. I'm sure a more experienced crabber will come along soon to ive you a beter answer.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:34 am

yep, he'll grow it back, maybe not in his first molt, but he will within two or three molts.

if you can post pics we can identify the species!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:33 pm

I had a micro that was missing half of it's small pincher and it regenerated in one molt. Larger crabs might take a few molts.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm

thx all for the prompt replies~! :) It saddens me to see the condition they are in right now...without limb and pincher...

I sure will try to get some pics of them but they are now destressing now in the ISO tank. When i got them home and put them in the ISO tank, all 3 bascially made a mad rush for the drinking water pool clambering in one after another, followed by the salt water pool. After which all made a beeline for the food dish i had placed in the ISO for them. 2 hours later i checked on the food dish, all the food inside was gone...and the drinking water pool was near empty and i had to refill it up... :shock: