Strawberry Owners

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Strawberry Owners

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:58 pm

My small Straw came through its first molt with me, but lost some color. I had it about a month before the molt and all of my crabs get a diet full of color building vitamins and minerals. I try to feed as much variety as possible, so I'm not sure diet was completely responsible. Of course, it's possible that a month was too little time after a bad diet to make up for any defiencies.

Anyhow, he now looks like an unripened strawberry (white leg tips, and gradually darkening as you move up the body). It looks pretty neat, but I don't want him to suffer from malnutrition.

Any thoughts?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:30 am

How long ago did she molt? I noticed someone else earlier today posting about something similar with their straw. Would you say it's a drastic color change?

My straw Cody just molted, and looked more striped and organgy than she had before, but now she looks back to normal.

I wonder if even after their hardened their color still continues to develop for a few days?

This color thing has got me going lately, wondering what effects it, food, "genetics" some other factor we don't know about.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:40 am

I haven't really seen her since that first day and that was about a week ago. It was enough of a color change to make me notice the molt, but I have no idea how long she had been up before I saw her. I have a feeling it wasn't long since she was munching on the coral for hours.

Hmmm.... I'll keep my eyes open and see if there is any more color change.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:19 am

Unfortunately, we really dont know at this tome what it is that gives straws their color. My best guess is that it is a combination of things, such as nutrition and light. Beta - carotene is usually the given color fixer, but I think there is more to it than that.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:26 pm

Dionysianexile, I'm curious as to how you see light as a factor?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:41 pm

This was discussed some time ago, probably over a year (I breifly searched the archives, couldnt find anything...). But light plays an important role in most animals health, Coenobitids included. These animals are exposed to certain amounts of natural sunlight, and the cycle of day/night helps maintain their circadian rhythm. This rhythm is an important part of any animals health. Some of this health is reflected in the coloration.

I will say, however, that lighting probably doesnt play a large role in the coloration of hermit crabs, it does have more of an impact on their overall health.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:12 pm

Thanks, I see. Boy, I need to let more sunlight into the crab room. I know sunshine makes me feel good!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:36 pm

My crabs get sunlight in the morning into the early afternoon. I have also been using flouresent lighting to help this. I Use 2 four-foot flouresents, they seem to be working fine as the plant I have in the tank is enjoying it, or at least surviving off the light I have, it is growing to say the least...I keep the lights on a timer, so they go on and off at the same time each day, so their rhythm doesnt get interrupted, works well.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:37 pm

do you know how long that straw molt was.. i have a jumbo and a large straw down for over a month now and was just wondering.,. its my first molt with them

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:36 pm

Ive had straw molts as short as a few weeks, and up to three months, it all depends on the crab...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:32 pm

My best guess is no more than 2 weeks. He's a small Straw, about the size of a half dollar.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:45 pm

My meduim staw molts have always been about 4 weeks. I've never had a jumbo.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:58 pm

I just got a straw recently, and have not yet had a molt. Do they molt as easily as the pp's? I had a pp molt w/o any problems, and I really don't want to loose any other crabbies over bad molts. I have 5 pp's, 2 rugs, 1 straw, and 1 indo. Also, would the indo have a problem of molting? I know straws and indos happen to need more care than pp's, but I'm still new to this.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:17 am

Both of my straws looked a little less "ripe" after their first molt, but have retained the same color pattern in later molts, not losing any more color. Kind of a "tie die" effect, but they aren't very large. I also think their color is effected by something besides beta-carotene and light. Maybe another dietary factor that intensifies their color in nature, that we just haven't figured out yet.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:13 pm

I know for goldfish and other cold water fish, full color lighting (pure white) will intensify blacks and reds.... perhaps get some uva/uvb bulbs?