Surface Molt on a sponge

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:45 pm

It sounds like maybe your humidity isn't high enough, and he is sitting on top of the sponge to seek out more moisture/higher humidity. He's using his shell to hold that moisture in. Your moisture should be in the upper 70's. He's probably still there b/c he's either not done molting or still hardening. I wouldn't move him. He chose that spot for a reason. Also, what kind/how deep/and how moist is your substrate? Aquarium gravel is not a good thing to keep him on. Play sand (like the sand-box sand you put in your kids sand box) is the most economical. You can get a 15 lb bag for like about $3. I have mine in a 10 gal, and it's almost half full of sand. That leaves plenty of tunneling/molting room. I actually just had a successful molt, and I have 2 more under the sand. Your sand should be moist enough that you can build a sand castle with it, and keep it that way. It will dry out fast b/c your temp needs to be pretty warm. Hope this helps you. And like I said, I wouldn't move him. He's already in the progress of molting, and to disturb him might kill him. He picked the sponge for a reason. He shouldn't be too much longer. I wouldn't be too worried about bacteria. If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch w/ me either through email or pm.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I am just figuring out that being a hermie mama is not different from being a baby mama, with all the different opinions, and experiences...it's hard to choose which one! Anyway, about halfway through the replies, I decided to move him off the sponge, and placed him right beside the water bowl. I think everyone was right about the lack of moisture as my tank tends to get pretty dry due to the lack of a plexiglass cover (although I have an aquarium hood, further covered with a towel). I will definitely remedy the situation right after my own little one is better and can try a trip to the pet store/hardware store). For now, I am misting more than usual, and leaving "Patrick" alone. He is divided from the other crabs, but still in the same tank. We are definitely looking forward to when he is done molting as J has decided that since molting means that they have gotten bigger, than it must mean that it was their birthday, so we celebrate with a Happy Birthday cupcake (for us, not the crab) once they are up and about. I will keep everyone posted.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:29 am

Rereading through the posts, I also wanted to add that I use play sand form Home Depot, which is about 2-3 inches deep. Spongebob (my first molter) molted perfectly fine in it (they are the same size). In fact, I hardly noticed what he was doing (I thought he was destressing) until he came back out a different colour, and dug out some of his uneaten exo with him.

Also, I don't think that Patrick has molted all of his exo off. He's very small though, so I can't be sure. Although last night, I saw him slightly peek out of his shell, and hide back in when he saw me coming. Does that mean that he's done with the process and just hardening up a bit? He hasn't moved much from his spot. And it seems like he's digging himself in very slowly into the sand and under the water dish.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

most likely he's looking for privacy if he's digging. it'll take a few days for him to come out all pretty. :) i learned that patience is key, as much as it sucks. but it's all for the better. :) he'll be fine, i'm sure. good luck!