Molting already?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Molting already?

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 pm

HI

What do you all think? I got two new ruggies a week ago. They came from a pet shop with bad conditions. One of them, Crazy Crab, is losing color in his legs. They were a beautiful greenish-purple color and now they are turning white-ish on the top. I picked him up and his eyes look dull and powdery. He is digging for all he is worth. Otherwise he seems well. He is eating, climbing, and generally seems happy. I know my crabitat conditions are good because my other crabs are healthy. I would be surprised if he were molting already since he came from such lousy conditions, but Who knows?

Any input?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:43 pm

I would say he is just de-stressing. But, I want to know where you found ruggies around here! Let me know please? :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:21 pm

You know with me, crabs very often molt when they're destressing, I'm talking about half the time. Weird.....I hate it 'cause I'd rather they get some rest and nutrition before they go and molt, but they don't listen to me.

I want Ruggies SO SO SO bad.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:50 pm

Hermies can put off their molts for quite a while if they aren't in a place that has the right conditions. So it could be as soon as he got to your tank he decided - this is the place for me! It shows that you have some good conditions in your tank - congrats! :P