Benson and his second molt.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Benson and his second molt.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:37 pm

Benson went under last week. He was under for 6 weeks the first time he molted. That was last year. I am going to be a wreck until he comes back up.

Glad you guys are here to do the hand holding.

Angeliicat

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:41 pm

Sending good molting vibes your way. (((((((good vibes))))))) :)

Topic author

Thanks Crabber!

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:50 pm

Benson was an unexpected house guest three years ago. My nephew left him behind when he was transfered to VA Beach. I knew nothing about Hermit Crabs and leaned all I needed right here on this site.

When he comes back up, I need some pointers on getting him to eat a wider varity of food. All he likes is coconut treat.

Angeliicat

Topic author

Benson is back.

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Benson came back up today. He was buried seven weeks exactly. He looks great and seems to be doing fine. I offered him his favorite treat plus extra cuttle bone and oatmeal. He has not tried any food yet, but he is exploring his crabitat.

It was a very long seven weeks.
Diane

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 11:55 pm

Congrats on the molt, and a compliment to your patients! :D I bet your both glad that's over. Cuttlebone and his fav, good food choices for post-molt.

As far as food goes, the more varitey the better! If something is in the food bowl too often they stop needing it nutrionally and will stop wanting to eat it. I only feed organic because pestisides I don't think are good for these guys. Sometimes it takes many times introducing a new food before they will try it. Blueberries have been in my tat 4 or 5 times, they finally tried it and finished them all the other night. Just don't give up and they will widen their food palet eventually. Some people also say the stinkier the food, the more they are aware of a food and the more likely they are to try something new. They seem to like it after it gets a little ripe, or gross like after freezing it.