WONDERFUL MOLT!!!! (with pics)

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

WONDERFUL MOLT!!!! (with pics)

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:24 pm

My very first crabby ever, the one who started me on this hobby, just came up from her first molt with me!!!!!!!!!! When I got Fleur, she was is a painted shell, I didn't know that they were supposed to have 4 legs plus 2 claws, and I got a KK. (The next day I went back for a 20 gallon and some friends for her). She had her 2 outside legs, one was missing a joint, and the lower half of her small claw was gone (like, she couldn't grab, because while the top part was there, the bottom half of the pincer, to close with, was gone). She dug down the day we got the 35 gallon (WEEKS ago), and tonight......... drum roll please.........

Isn't she BEAUTIFUL???????? The orange legs are the new ones. They're still a little bit smaller, but nonetheless, they're GREAT!!!!
It never ceases to amaze me how they can regrow parts like that, it's so spiffy!!!!!!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:21 pm

Just beautiful,congrats! :D :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:27 pm

Congrats!

I can't wait til mine does!

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:50 pm

Congrats!!!! :D
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:14 pm

Congrats on the great molt! She looks beautiful! :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:51 pm

Congratulations on your successful molt!

She's beautiful! :D

Topic author

Beautiful and thanks for the posting!

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:10 pm

Thanks for posting! What a beaty she/he is! We added two small Es last and both switched shells right away and then dug down. We have never had any dig down for more than a night so your post encourages me. I can see one from the bottom of the tank - am hoping they are destressing or molting. Thanks again!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:34 pm

congrats! The color is phenomenal!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:00 am

That's so great! Congratulations! I love her coloring!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:51 am

hehe, it's so cool how you can tell which ones are her new legs from the bright orange colour! I had a similar experience to you; both my first crabbies dropped all four of their (entire) walking legs straight after coming home with me (PPS). Then I got some sand (darn pet store told me to use gravel :evil: ) and cocofibre and followed all the info I learned from this site and www.hermit-crabs.com and after 3 weeks of being buried they both came up, each with an entire set of four brand spankin' new legs. I was so happy and thrilled as you must be.

Molting is such a wonderful thing when new limbs are grown, congratulations! :) And they are just so resilient!