Shells and molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Shells and molting

Post by Guest » Fri May 19, 2006 6:51 pm

This is probably a silly question that has been addressed already, but I wondered if a hermit crab holds on as tightly to his shell during a molt as he usually does. I ask because I went to PetCo the other day and found a crab that was half buried. I went to pick him up, but he just drooped out of his shell. When I called the employee, she picked up his shell and he fell out. She picked the naked crabby up, and we saw that he was molting. He looked pretty rough...all pink and squished funny in certain places... So we put him back in his shell. He wiggled a little, but that was it. Eventually he adjusted himself in his shell, but he really didn't look ok.

Anyway, I just wondered if crabs have the strength to hold on to their shells while they're molting.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 20, 2006 10:27 am

I don't believe they are holding onto their shells tightly while they are molting. They lean almost all the way out of the shell.

Dawn
Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm going to get a bit

Post by Dawn » Sat May 20, 2006 6:55 pm

I believe that since they have to pull their legs out of their exo and they have smaller joints than leg sections they go through a chemical change in their tissue that degenerates their muscles. Their muscle tissue gets all jelled sloppy so they can pull out of their exo. It stands to reason that all their muscles including their tail will be limp or at least more limp during a molt and that's why someone (another crab or predator) can take them out of their shell while they are basically too weak to hold onto the shell.

Sorry to ramble. I've read alot of info and repeat it sometimes in a different *form*.
Hermit crab LOVER since March 2003.

If my advice doesn't help, please PM me right away. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/ddisomma