stuck in exo

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

stuck in exo

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:21 pm

I think it has been at least 4 days since I peaked in the moss. Yesterday one had I think the exo stolen. Not sure since it has been a few days. The crab moved and was in the shell. I put some honey and ground sand dollar next to it. Later that day it was dead.

Now I have another that molted around the same time. It is part way out of the exo. It moves slightly, but does not look good to me. It has been I think 4 days now maybe longer. Is it possible s/he can get the exo off at this point? I am sure this one has molted before. It is one of my bigger E's.

Kathy

I just checked when I posted. The first crab molted on the surface on the 9th. So it has been some time.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:08 pm

I would move to ISO and try to mist her to help soften it - it definately does not take that long--good luck
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:47 pm

I am not so sure what is going on. It looks like its eyes are gone. Which is why I thought it was trying to get out of the exo. It was moving a bit on it's own yesterday since I left a window. Today not so good. The color has also change. Along it's shield it is a dark read. I do not notice a smell. I have been misting it all along. I am pretty sure it is dead. Going to leave it in the tank a bit longer to make sure.

Kathy

annopia

Post by annopia » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:10 pm

I'm sorry for your loss.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie