Do crabs always leave shell to molt?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Do crabs always leave shell to molt?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:51 pm

Can a crab shed thier exo without leaving the shell, or do they always have to leave and then return? I have had some crabs that could not enter the shell because sand had packed in the shell opening. The sand was kept moist but larger crabs walking over the top may have caused a partial "cave in" in thier tunnel. Any thoughts? Deeper substrate?

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:10 pm

if the molt is going as it should, they stay in the shell (usually), because it offers protection while their new exo is hardening.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:43 pm

There isn't a relation between shell changing and molting. They molt in the shell, then may or may not change shells afterwards.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:49 pm

Actually, I have noticed a relation between shell-changing and molting. My crabs, before they molt, seem to go through a huge indecisive shell-switching frenzy. Then they bury themselves and molt.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:00 pm

How funny, my crab Oliver who went below a few days ago, was changing shells every day. Always between the same two, he'd just go back and forth. :lol: