is this normal?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

is this normal?

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:07 pm

I just cleaned out my tank today and unearthed one of my PP's without a shell, I was a little concerned and looked around him a bit and found tiny pieces of exo. It looked like most of it was eaten but I am wondering if it is normal for a hermie to dig down like that? There wasn't a shell around him at all so he must have just buried himself without one.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:41 pm

No, it's not normal. Did he go into a shell? Is he in one now? I wonder if it was stolen by another crab while he was molting? Is another crab wharing the shell he was in last?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:46 pm

I put him in a big bowl with lots of clean shell and he got dressed right away and seems to be doing fine now. I t was just really weird, I dont know what shell he had on in the beginning though, ( I have 15 crabs total so its kind of hard to tell). Everything is normal with him now, thanks for the help. :)

annopia

Post by annopia » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:14 pm

I'm glad he got himself back in a shell...nude crabs are always so frustrating!

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:38 pm

Naughty thieving shell sealers. Or maybe he ate it!! Or maybe the aliens took it!! Or the government!!!!!! I love a good mystery.