E Molts

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

E Molts

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:55 am

I’ve had my share of terminal E molts in just the past month or so. It’s really starting to get to me.

Last night I realized it had been 8 weeks since Godzilla went down. He was large for an E, but probably only a medium crab. I went digging and found the worst. I’m sure he’s been dead for quite some time. It looks like he got stuck in his exo while molting. You could see his exo in perfect shape, but you could also see that inside the hollow outside was a black body rotting away :(

I’ve never had a terminal PP molt, all my PP molts have gone perfectly.

I’ve had smaller E’s molt multiple times with me, and have them be fine as well.

I’ve also had smaller E molts that were terminal. So far, I’ve had 5 terminal E molts. Gizmo was a small / medium, Godzilla was a medium, and the rest were a bit smaller than small.

What’s the deal? Some of them were in their own isolation tank, so I won’t bother to fill out the template because there would be too many things slightly different, but generally all the tanks were within the recommendations.

I’m curious if my sand is too dry. When I put it in it’s always sand castle consistency, and I try to keep it moist. However, I notice when I clean that the sand is always dry near the UTH. I can’t mix it up all the time to make sure it stays moist because someone is always down and I don’t want to disturb them.

My husband asked how big E’s get – I told him they don’t get too much bigger than Godzilla. He’s suggested that maybe they’re just old, and it’s their time. But… I don’t know. I can’t say he’s right when there were 3 small ones that were terminal.

The crab in my profile picture has molted at some point this week. I didn’t notice him going under the sand, but I didn’t notice a surface molt either. However I discovered him looking quite soft and with a big dent in his BP. This confused me, because I can’t imagine what he was pressed against. Previously I had the rocks at the bottom to keep out the bacteria, but I had seen him since I moved (and I didn’t put the rocks back because of terminal molts) and he was normal. He molted after the move, and was up and about while still soft. He’s in iso now, but I’m really worried that he’s just going to pass even though he seems fine. He’s molted with me before with no problems.

Then there is Goomba, who is an E as big as Godzilla was. He was my very first (noticed) molt. He came up VERY pale, almost white. He stayed up for a month or two, then buried himself again. I’m worried that he’s down there to die… When Gizmo (small to medium) was dug up during the move he was also just as pale, and after a few days left his shell and died.

I have had successful E molts, and I’ve had one medium E molt that I would call successful (Lestat). I’ve had tiny E molts be successful as well… but the majority seem to be going down the tubes.

I’m just talking, trying to get my thoughts out so maybe someone cam make sense of them. Let me know what you think.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 am

I would add more salt to your water, or maybe even sprinkle some salt on your foods. the salt that they store is used in a process to crack their exo, so if they dont have enough salt, their exo has a higher chance of getting stuck.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:53 am

Should I worry about it getting too salty? Or is that okay as long as I have the fresh water (of course I have the fresh water?!) Right now I use API with the 8 tablespoons per gallon… I had occasionally put the crystals in their food, but I haven’t been lately because nobody seemed to care. (Not that I could really notice I guess). The next time I see one on sale or see one cheap enough I’ll pick up a hydrometer.

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:15 am

I never heard of API. I use Instant Ocean and haven't had any problems with any of my species molting. My Es do just fine with it and EE.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:41 am

API is Doc Wellfish

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:45 am

Ahh ok.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:07 am

API is for freshwater aquarium fish... It was said once recently but I can't remember by who that it is fine for PPs but not the others since they need/use saltwater more than PPs that they must have the ocean quality salt.

I myself use Oceanic.. I have had one deformity with my Es... they are little... almost smalls. But she dropped the deformed/exo stuck leg and quickly molted and regrew a new one.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:23 am

I'm pretty sure it's on the salt water making tabs (or whatever it's called?!) Over there -------------------> is what I mean anyway!

I mean, if I mixed it up according to the freshwater instructions that would not be enough of course, but I do the 8 tablespoons per gallon listed on Christa's site... (I think it's the instructions for brine shrimp as well?)

We really use a lot of salt water, and I've got really high bills currently with two mortgages, two houses, to everything... I can't really splurge on more expensive water. Since loads of other people use it and haven't had problems, I'll probably keep using it at least until I sell my house. (Which will be never, apparently... 1 year and counting!)

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:18 pm

Ouch on the house. That has to be hard on the wallet. :)

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:23 pm

So sorry you have problems with your Es molting Beckers! Wish I knew what the problem is with my PPs and molts! They have 1 maybe 2 successful molts with me but then the second or third has always been terminal so far! :? I can't figure it out! They come up with beautiful coloring, seem really active and healthy, have good conditions, get the same stuff as my ruggies who have been molting like mad since I got them and growing like bad weeds! Yet the second or third molt with me is always terminal!

Wish they could talk sometimes girlfriend! :?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:37 pm

No kidding starmaiden! My cat's are so much easier in the way that if they're not happy - they let you know!

I forgot to mention that I would of course start giving them some of the crystals with their food. Or did I mention that? Would it be safe to make the salt water more salty with the API? They would balance it out with fresh water, right?

I wish my E molts were as successful as all my PP molts, these guys are driving me crazy! Neither one of my ruggies have molted yet, I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:50 pm

It's so strange to me how people get one particular species they have trouble with, and it's different for different people.

Yes, they would balence the salt water with the fresh. I'd never heard anything negitive about API, it's a wonderful product and easy on the pocket book.

I changed my substrate around too, but I had 7 good molts and 2 bad ones in that combo, which is pretty normal statisics. I lost my fav E Yacko, but he had a bacterial infection any way, and I think that was what got him. I loved that little E so much. :(

These guys can be so hard to figure out. I think all you can do is change around variables until something works, which is what you're doing. I know you'll get it figured out and it'll turn around for you.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:27 am

Oh no! I’m so sorry about Yacko! :(

I’ve since been making sure I add salt crystals to the food, and I’ll probably make the water a bit more salty while I’m at it.

I’ve had quite the week (last week..) My husband got in a car accident on Thursday, he’s fine, but since he’s not American and we still have the Vermont plates on our cars (the accident was in New York) they totally took advantage of him. They actually treated him like he was trying to blow up a gas station or something! (Trying to keep this post non-political….) Anyway, they gave him no choices and even though the car was drivable they towed it because his license was expired.. which it technically wasn’t because Vermont gives you a 14 day grace period. They towed it to this horrible place which took full advantage of us also. My father’s a mechanic, so I know when people are ripping me of. I got so angry. Anyway, this information doesn’t belong here!

My point was, my husband knew I’ve been upset about how my E’s are going. I’ve been saying things about how all my E’s hate me and that I shouldn’t have them because I’m killing them. Yesterday he surprised me with a pretty big E, unfortunately I just got worried that he wouldn’t make it with me. I never appreciate anything! Well, that’s not true.

Wow, it’s too early for me to be rambling incoherently off subject. I’ll stop!

I’ve added EE, and I still have my sand also. None of the crabs seems too excited? Except for my new guy, he’s all over the place, loving the food!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:33 pm

Congrats on the new E. I'm sorry you've had such a hard week, I hope your new E will do well and you'll feel better all around, sometimes my crabs brighten a dark day when nothing else will.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:14 am

I'm sure you already give your hermies a decent diet, but one thing that really improved my E moults was feeding them a lot of leafy greens. I mean I throw a handful in almost every day. I mostly use packaged spring mix, but sometimes dandelion greens (they're cheaper!). They would always have access to greens (grass, leaves, etc.) in the wild, so I figure they're pretty important.