How long does it take them to eat the exo?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

How long does it take them to eat the exo?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Ok, so once I finally confirmed that Shiny had indeed molted and excitedly saw his waggling antennae from under the food dish and his exo slowly disappearing, I thought he'd be up in a week. But he's still hiding and there are still the claws of his exo that seem to be sitting around uneaten. When is he finally going to come visit us? Does he have to eat the entire exo? He's not made any footprints around the food dish or anywhere else that I smoothed out. I want to see these sharp black toenails and fuzzy legs that y'all are always talking about!!!

peace,
ci

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:04 pm

It took mine 2-4 days, but they never eat their bp, lol. :lol: :roll:
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:15 pm

It mostly depends on the size of the crab - The larger they are the longer they take. Straws take longer. It can take from a couple days to over a week. My straw ate his big pincher 1st then the body and finished all but 3 legs and then just resurfaced 3 days ago... They don't all completely eat their exo but whatever is left I leave for the other crabs to eat... Hope you see your baby soon!