Removing Paint?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Removing Paint?

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi fellow crabbers!!! I was wondering if there was a way to remove the paint from the crab's shell after it has changed out of it for future use? One of my crabs named Crusty is currently wearing a shell that is half-painted. Most of the paint is already chipped off and there is A BEAUTIFUL tan spotted shell underneath all of that gross paint. My littler crab Scuttle would be able to use that shell when Crusty is out of it but I don't want him to be wearing ANOTHER painted shell.....is there anything I can do???

:roll::
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Xenocrab

Re: Removing Paint?

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:59 pm

I wouldn't recommend it. Chemicals are very bad for crabbies. Check out Naples Shells and buy new, safe shells.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Aside from possibly picking off the paint by hand there isn't really any safe alternatives. Possibly boiling the shell will loosen the paint but an extended period of boiling may fade the shell. There is no guarantee there is no paint on the inside of the shell either. I would not recommend using any types of chemicals either. We always save out painted shells in one of the screen hermit crab homes you buy at the shore. If we ever do a hermit crab awareness stand at a public event like we plan on doing someday we want to use that as part of our not good area of our table.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 am

Ok I didn't think it was possible but worth a shot.lol Thanks :hlol: :crabbigsmile:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"