Hole in shell from boiling

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Hole in shell from boiling

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:11 pm

So I bought this beautiful turbo shell from Naples Sea Shell Co. I was boiling it I’m dechlorinated water with some other shells and when I was testing to see if it was water proof I discovered a hole in itImage is there any way I can fix it? Silicone? Bummed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: Hole in shell from boiling

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:48 pm

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote:Image
So I bought this beautiful turbo shell from Naples Sea Shell Co. I was boiling it I’m dechlorinated water with some other shells and when I was testing to see if it was water proof I discovered a hole in itImage is there any way I can fix it? Silicone? Bummed..

I found this answer from a previous HCA discussion thread.
Also, I got the same shell for my golf ball size crab from Naples. I boiled mine too but no holes. Sorry you weren't so lucky. ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:18 am

Do you know whether there was a hold befor eboiling? If so, you cN ask for a refund/exchange.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:37 am

Scarletfire wrote:Do you know whether there was a hold befor eboiling? If so, you cN ask for a refund/exchange.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
There wasn’t a hole in it before, I checked

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:20 am

This is why I don't use pearlized shells myself. In order for the mother of pearl layer to be revealed, the outer normal colored layers are ground off. This means the shell has been made extremely thin and brittle. Any places that were ground too deeply will end up shattering easily, leaving holes, and even cracking entirely. These types of shells cannot stand up to even short drops onto solid objects.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:04 am

wodesorel wrote:This is why I don't use pearlized shells myself. In order for the mother of pearl layer to be revealed, the outer normal colored layers are ground off. This means the shell has been made extremely thin and brittle. Any places that were ground too deeply will end up shattering easily, leaving holes, and even cracking entirely. These types of shells cannot stand up to even short drops onto solid objects.
That makes sense. They are just so beautiful.

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:51 am

wodesorel wrote:This is why I don't use pearlized shells myself. In order for the mother of pearl layer to be revealed, the outer normal colored layers are ground off. This means the shell has been made extremely thin and brittle. Any places that were ground too deeply will end up shattering easily, leaving holes, and even cracking entirely. These types of shells cannot stand up to even short drops onto solid objects.
No wonder! The ONLY shells I've had crack or chip on me are my pearl shells. Thank goodness for you, I've been so paranoid about boiling or even moving my shells since I found a crack. All it took was my hermits climbing around on the shells for them to break and be useless.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 am

My big crab seems to prefer lighter shells, which the pearl turbos are. What other type of shell is light but more sturdy?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 am
My big crab seems to prefer lighter shells, which the pearl turbos are. What other type of shell is light but more sturdy?
Turbo fluctuosus, also sold as striped turbo. The snails are known in the pet trade as Mexican Turbos. These tend to be pretty sturdy but much thinner than Tapestries and are available in the same sizes. Like most shells though, anything over 1 & 1/8 opening has become a rare find. All of my big guys are atill in these or Tapestries, even though they could be wearing much larger shells. The weight of the larger ones (Jades) must not be worth it.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram