Glass shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Glass shells

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Are they safe? It's not cruel if they pick it amongst other options is it?

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

MsWorld

Re: Glass shells

Post by MsWorld » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:07 pm

These are not safe at all. They are not made for their bodies. Please do not put glass shells in your tat. Please.…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Agreed!! Those poor hermies forced into glass shells :(

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:26 am

They're heavy and the crabs cannot modify them.we had a member take an adoption that was wearing one and it changed immediately.

Crabs need to be able to hide in their shells. I think that if they could still see out they would be confused or stressed (not to anthropomorphize too much) because when they hunker down to escape predators, nothing should be able to see them in their shells.

Some people have also mentioned that the glass is non porous and would possibly cause the crabs to become overheated or burned if these were used in conjuction with lamps and uvb lights due to magnification. I don't know if this is true but worth looking into.

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:31 am

That's to bad i thought they'd be cute! Oh well naples here i come! I've got my basic collection of shell's. Just looking for pretty now :)
Calm down guys I'm not going too lol!! Its amazing that everyone on here cares so much. Thanks!

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 pm

their abdoman are like "roasted" with those shells.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:41 pm

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:Are they safe? It's not cruel if they pick it amongst other options is it?

They are not safe they don't provide a dark place to hide can not be modified they are heavy and will react with heat. So to answer no their not safe and their not good please only use natural real shells not novelty glass shells.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:44 pm

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:That's to bad i thought they'd be cute! Oh well naples here i come! I've got my basic collection of shell's. Just looking for pretty now :)
Calm down guys I'm not going too lol!! Its amazing that everyone on here cares so much. Thanks!

It's not cute and neither are painted shells. Naples is good get them nice natural shells the way nature intended they will.be most happy doing what they are designed to do not being forced or "tricked" into a home that's dangerous to them.

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:55 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:
KayedeeLove<3 wrote:That's to bad i thought they'd be cute! Oh well naples here i come! I've got my basic collection of shell's. Just looking for pretty now :)

It's not cute and neither are painted shells. Naples is good get them nice natural shells the way nature intended they will.be most happy doing what they are designed to do not being forced or "tricked" into a home that's dangerous to them.

Which is why i asked i refer to this site before i buy anything new!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk