Peeling Painted Shell

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Krabby_Mommie78

Peeling Painted Shell

Post by Krabby_Mommie78 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:43 pm

My little man is still cruising spring in his crappy painted shell that is now peeling.....and I feel bad for him. I know the paint is not good for them Image

I have given him plenty of natural shells. Is there a way I could possibly entice him to change shells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Krabby_Mommie78

Re: Peeling Painted Shell

Post by Krabby_Mommie78 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Also, is he due for a molt? He hasn't dug down yet...but he is happy as can be crawling all around and even hanging out with us, he's a super chill crab

Topic author
Krabby_Mommie78

Post by Krabby_Mommie78 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:34 pm

ImageImage

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Yep, certainly looks as though he's due for a molt soon: very little hair on the walking legs, no sharp black "nails" and very blunt leg tips. As far as inducing him to switch shells, we've all been in your spot and just have to wait it out. All you can do is make sure you have plenty of "O" opening turbos as well as the "D" opening shell he's been wearing, same size and a tad bigger. When he does molt, he'll probably be a little larger and will need to find new "clothes" then.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

KDK241

Post by KDK241 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Also if you don't rinse your shells in salt water try doing that and if you already do you can try re-rinsing them. I have had crabs pass up shells and then 2 days later I re-rinsed them and the same crabs decided to move on in.
Katie
12 PPs, Rosco the dog, Ziggy the Chinese Water Dragon and Shirley the pygmy chameleon

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:09 pm

KDK241 wrote:Also if you don't rinse your shells in salt water try doing that and if you already do you can try re-rinsing them. I have had crabs pass up shells and then 2 days later I re-rinsed them and the same crabs decided to move on in.
Always boil in fresh dechlorinated water and rise as well no salt water for shells.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:09 pm

If your crab changes shells, or if you have other painted shells, the way I have found to REMOVE the paint from them is to boil them in dechlorinated salt water. Then I take a dremmel to them to remove to rest of the paint. Then I rinse them in dechlorinated water before presented to my hc. Good luck!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:44 am

Honestly, I think natural shells has more beauty than painted shells.
I mean, look at this

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3900 ... 80.jpg?c=2

vs. this!

https://www.google.com/search?q=banded+ ... vgkLL1M%3A
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

littletechcrab

Post by littletechcrab » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:49 am

I just bought a crab two weeks ago with same type of shell and peeling up a storm. My little girl changed in about one day, but I didn't get the shell out quickly enough and Speedo another new crab jumped into it. Took 2days for him to move out and pick a nice brown turbo. I wish we could ban those darn painted shells. Here is a pix of the ugly thing.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

mool

Post by mool » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:36 am

Two of my four most recent rescues are clinging to their old peeling painted Babylonia shells. I've had them since this past spring. Both have molted and need to change but are sporting their too tight shells like a fat man in a Speedo.

I have about 50 options in their size range. Sigh.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:06 am

mool wrote: but are sporting their too tight shells like a fat man in a Speedo.
What an apt image...and one that's going to stick in my mind for days now! :hlol:
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 pm

mool wrote:Two of my four most recent rescues are clinging to their old peeling painted Babylonia shells. I've had them since this past spring. Both have molted and need to change but are sporting their too tight shells like a fat man in a Speedo.

I have about 50 options in their size range. Sigh.
I laughed harder than I should have
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

mool

Post by mool » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:33 am

:crabbigsmile:

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:43 am

I just wanted to clarify that it is okay to boil the shells in salt water, it just can dull the polish. The crabs prefer "salty" shells as that is what they would have access to in the wild, as shells wash up on shore from the ocean. :D

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:28 am

Rawrgeous wrote:I just wanted to clarify that it is okay to boil the shells in salt water, it just can dull the polish. The crabs prefer "salty" shells as that is what they would have access to in the wild, as shells wash up on shore from the ocean. :D
Thank you, people have tried to correct me for doing this but the crabs seem to prefer them after I boil with saltwater. They check out every single one. I don't really mind the shells being dull.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/